V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, last week I bought a Sportster and haven't ridden a bike in 17 years so I do not have a motorcycle license. I did go out and get a learners permit for it, but it requires me to ride with and experienced rider and only during daylight hours. I don't have any friends who own a bike.

I only have a temporary registration on my bike and the dealer said it takes at least 3 weeks to get tags. Well if I don't break any laws do you think the police will pull me over just because I only have the temporary tags on the bike?

This is killing me looking at my new bike just sitting in the garage. I need to get some miles on it. I'm worried they will impound my bike. If I thought the worst would happen would to just recieve a ticket I wouldn't sweat it but impounding my bike would suck.

Anybody live near the west burbs of Chicago who can ride with me?

·
Registered
875 Posts
another thing to consider if you do it illegaly (no partner) will insurance company cover you if you get into an accident, will they cancel you if you get a ticket

·
Registered
40 Posts
As long as the temp tags aren't expired the cops won't give you a second glance. And riding without an endorsement isn't a big deal. You should be able to talk your way out of anything that may happen by telling the cop you have no one with an endorsement, and worse case riding without an endorsement is a small fine (at least it was when I got popped before I had one:D )
P.S. JimmyK said it best... just go ride the damn thing:cool:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Smokey said:
Jimmy after reading your reply I couldn't help but smile! :D
Smokey my friend, I was not saying that to be a jerk. Fact is, there are a million reasons NOT to get on a bike. There is, in my humble opinion only one reason To get on a bike. FREEDOM Found ONLY In The Wind.

You are nervous and are looking at all of the reasons not to just get on and go. Remember the reason you bought your bike and use that as an excuse if ya get questioned. Believe it or not, most Cops will leave ya alone unless you are riding crazy.

Forget the "what if's" and go. Otherwise before ya know it you will find yourself on the front porch, years gone by thinking, ... "if I'd a".

;)

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jimmy, I didn't think you was being a jerk. I actually liked your response.

The fiancee is just raggin me saying the cops will impound the bike. I rode bikes from the time I was 10 years old until 20, I had four bikes then. I am really not nervous now, not like she is. I do want to ride and I will, I was just curious if you guys had any experience with getting pulled over with temporary tags and if the cops harrass people. A lot of people tell me to wait at least until I get permanent tags. I don't think I can unless they do impound.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Smokey said:
Jimmy, I didn't think you was being a jerk. I actually liked your response.

The fiancee is just raggin me saying the cops will impound the bike.

Well that means she will be happy to see you when ya get home safe and sound after she was worried about ya.

HELL ! That could be a GOOD thing ya know? :D

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Smokey,you should be just fine,as lomg as the temporary tags haven't expired.Jump on that Sporty & enjoy it!!!
guido

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Take a MSF course, then you don't have to worry about the learners permit, and what you learn might save your ass.

Ride the thing if you want, but if you get written up it is NOT "harrasment". Most cops will not make a federal case out of it, but once in a while you run into a rookie that wants to play Tarzan.

I think it is quite likely you will be pulled over, not because of the tags, but because most traffic cops are trained in DUI recognition and there are specific things they look for. Rookie riders often exhibit the exact same "symphtoms" they are looking for.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Riding

Smokey,

Take the class like Hippo advised, you can't go wrong there. When you get that over with, you can be riding without the worry. There are too many 4 wheels out there to be concerned about anyway without the concern of getting pulled over for lack of license.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Smokey, I hate to be the one to tell you all this, and I can only speak on behalf of NY State laws... If you get stopped, and you arn't legal, the cops CANT let you ride off on the bike. It will be impounded. In addition to the possibility that your bike will be scratched or scuffed up...(actually, I would count on this happening) the costs to get it outta hock can be steep. Then factor in the insurance increase, and the cost may outweigh the benefits.

God know's I know how hard it is to look at the thing, and not be able to ride...you are the only one who can decide if it's worth the risk.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Smokey, I think that by now you've read enough comments to make a decision on this, but here's my comment . . .

Consider the MSF course that Hippo mentioned. It may reduce your insurance by a few cents as well as eliminate the need to take the road course for your license.

Also consider the consequences of what it will cost you (or your loved ones) if you have an accident and your friendly insurance company doesn't back you up.

Here in Georgia, they do not issue temporary tags. I rode for two months with no plate at all and was never pulled over. Yeah, I'd say that was lucky too!

Keep your insurance card and registration handy just in case. It may even help to have a cell phone. You may be able to convince the officer not to have your bike hauled off if you can have a buddy truck the bike home for you.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Blue Meanies...

Smokey,

I was pulled over once in the eighties while practicing for my road test on my Stepfathers bike. Reason being, an expired registration sticker. The bike was legal, DMV ran out of stickers and the documentation was in his wallet, not on my person. The Trooper reluctantly followed me home(about 200 yards), and the proof was produced. He still had an issue with the unlicensed operation and thumbed through the V&T book for twenty minutes searching for something to write me on. Finally I told him to either write the ticket or just let me go eat my supper which was getting cold. In any case, he let me go with just a verbal warning. Took my test the following week and haven't been stopped on the scoot since.

Every situation is different. I myself would ride the bike. But that's your call. Just be careful! The insurance deal may very well be a serious issue.

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
629 Posts
I guess I am a bit more lucky in Cali, I don't have to be with another rider. However the MSF course is a good idea (I am taking a course currently). I personally would ride it, but that was my choice to risk it...

(I had to ride the freeway to get it home).

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I rode all winter w/o an inspection sticker due to the fact the state had run out of them. Put my name in at the repair shop and they called me as soon as they became available. Ironically, I still thought they were carried in the driver's helmet. Did not realize that they are now attached to the license plate. Phew, got away with it and believe me there were not many bikes on the road during the winter, just me!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not trying to be a smartass here, but are you sure that you have to ride with another rider while driving with a permit?? Reason I ask is that here in NC, you can't ride two up with a permit, but you sure as hell don't have to have a buddy riding along side you.

I will echo the thoughts of the others regarding the MSF course. I'm like you...getting back into riding after a long absense. I rode for a year before taking the experienced riders course. I thought I knew how to ride pretty well but the course taught me a thing or two. It was an interesting experience. One of the instructors was a woman, about 5"4" 110 lbs. She drove a Dyna Wide glide and could out manuver just about every guy there. A couple of the guys dropped their bikes while trying to do some of the manuvers. Fortunatly there was no real damage done. Anyway, when you get the chance, take the course. It 's well worth it.

BTW, I drove my bike for about five months before finally getting my bike license. A week after I got my motorcycle endorsement, I was riding the back roads one weekend and ran into a traffic checkpoint way out in the middle of nowhere. I guess the motorcycle Gods were smiling on me. Ride safe.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I am sure I need an experienced rider with me. The stupid thing is they cannot be on the back of the bike with me, they would have to be on their own bike. I think it is stupid because what could they possibly do if I was to lose control? Jump off their bike onto mine and regain control? :eek:

Anyways I just got back from riding around on the local sidestreets and froze my butt off. Looks like I'll take my chances and hope I find someone to ride with. This weekend is supposed to be sunny and 70 degrees.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
jcolman said:
Not trying to be a smartass here, ................................................................................ One of the instructors was a woman, about 5"4" 110 lbs
Cheers
Jim

Ok don't leave us hanging like that! How's a bout the rest of the measurements? :D

( Sorry, I know, but I can't help it. It's a Rooster thing ya know? )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts