V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get a year old Electra Glide that was leased for a year by a police department. Does anyone know for sure if a E-Glide stereo/speakers will install kind of easy and if a regular stock E-Glide seat/backrest still fits these bikes. Probably stupid questions but I don't want any surprises if I decide to go this route and I figured you guys would know if anyone would. Thanks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I believe you won't have any problem doing what you want to do. Those police bikes can be a pretty good deal. My department is using 103 motors in our bikes. If the stealer prices them on par with past years used bikes someone is going to get a smoking deal on them.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not really any BIG problems

FLSTCMIKE said:
I have a chance to get a year old Electra Glide that was leased for a year by a police department. Does anyone know for sure if a E-Glide stereo/speakers will install kind of easy and if a regular stock E-Glide seat/backrest still fits these bikes. Probably stupid questions but I don't want any surprises if I decide to go this route and I figured you guys would know if anyone would. Thanks.

The saddle swapping is the easiest part.

I have been down that road with saddles and the radios. If you want to put the factory radio in, then you will need to do one of two things:

1. Replace the entire interconnect harness in the fairing to accept the handlebar switches or

2. Make your own like I did. This took a HD shop manual to read the wire diagrams and several hours.

I chose to go with the HD Ultra radio that had the cassette. You can find them on eBay pretty cheap. Radiosound will doa swap out for $135 or so.

Wiring in the handlebar switches was not too bad. I went with a new Harley Ultra overlay harness.

The reason I went with a real HD radio, I tried a aftermarket radio and it did not like the rain, plus the buttons were way too small.

Feel free to PM or email me if you decide to go this route.

Would I do it again, heck yes. I learned more about the inner fairing than most dealer mechanics.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input. R-Rated I may take you up on the IM when the time comes. I also found out that I have to change the tires out. I guess they come with runflat tires that are only rated for 250lbs passenger weight. Will have to change them before I go 2 up.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
FLSTCMIKE said:
thanks for the input. R-Rated I may take you up on the IM when the time comes. I also found out that I have to change the tires out. I guess they come with runflat tires that are only rated for 250lbs passenger weight. Will have to change them before I go 2 up.

Once you strip them down a little, you can get away with 2up local riding, unless the 2 of you are over 500 lbs together. You shouldn't be out there at 80+ with a week's clothes and camping gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts