V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy tell me the police versions of the RK or the Glide come with a 103 inch motor from the factory. BS or truth?

·
Registered
158 Posts
They do indeed come with 103's. Chech out HD website, under motorcycles,click on police firefighter, specs, motor 103.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
The cams are different and they have different heads.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
route66paul said:
The cams are different and they have different heads.
They actually have the same heads until they get replaced on the recall. I can tell you from experience that even tho they are 103's stock they have less get up and go then my mild 95inch with andrews 26g's. They will probably respond well to upgrades tho. They come stock with an oil cooler and they need it. They run much hotter than all my previous work bikes.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
muleskinner said:
I'm surprised any departments still use them with the Honda ST and the BMW bikes out there.
It is all about the bottom line for many departments and the Harley's come in at a much lower price. The local dealer here gives an unbelievable deal. BMW and Honda are not even close. The BMW dealer was not even interested in giving a bid because he knew it would be a waste of time.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. I wonder if HD pays for maintenance also? ST's and BMers go for ever with little to no problems. Or should I say the ST's do anyway.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
muleskinner said:
Interesting. I wonder if HD pays for maintenance also? ST's and BMers go for ever with little to no problems. Or should I say the ST's do anyway.
It is cheap to maintain the HD's for our department oil change every 5000 miles and they are under warranty for 2 years and we trade them out every year so really accumulate very little cost.

·
Doof Bag
274 Posts
Mtclassic said:
They actually have the same heads until they get replaced on the recall. I can tell you from experience that even tho they are 103's stock they have less get up and go then my mild 95inch with andrews 26g's. They will probably respond well to upgrades tho. They come stock with an oil cooler and they need it. They run much hotter than all my previous work bikes.
Anybody know what year they began using 103's standard on the flhp?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The department here has some 103s coming but are arguing with HD about the contract terms. HD wants to go to one year use of bikes because the bikes will be turning over faster, and have less use (thus better resale value) while the city wants to go to a three year lease (which would leave the bikes a bit beat up for resale.) Presently it is a 2 year lease.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Yukon44 said:
The department here has some 103s coming but are arguing with HD about the contract terms. HD wants to go to one year use of bikes because the bikes will be turning over faster, and have less use (thus better resale value) while the city wants to go to a three year lease (which would leave the bikes a bit beat up for resale.) Presently it is a 2 year lease.
We do the one year lease and it is nice getting a new bike every year. Cost a little to switch the equipment over because we have light boxes that are pretty complicated to get wired properly. The best thing for me about a new bike every year is that I realize my personal bike (04) is as good or better than any of the newer years bikes. I thought the new 103's were going to make me want to upgrade but notta. I would be hesitant on a 3 year lease because that 3rd year is without warranty and the one time we did keep our bikes for 2 years we found that by the end of the 2nd year we were having lots of little warrant things crop up.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Keep in mind that the 103 is for the actualy Police bikes and not the Police Special Editions....Darn...

Doug

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
This probably would have been a good thread for the Police forum. If you search there, I had a thread asking difference. Listed some things.

I have thought about getting one and tearing it down and customizing the way I want. Nothing radical, just the parts I want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts