V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a CV Preformance Needle to try to get my bike to run a little richer after air box and pipe install. It's a stock 2000 Softail other than SE Air Box and Samson Fishtails.( Heritage Softail Springer) CV Carb. Now I pulled the plugs after 60 miles and the front plug ceramic is half gray and half white. Rear is white ceramic and gray ground strap. Any ideas whats up here. Mixture screw is about 2 turns out. First 2 pics. are the same plug front half gray and half white. 3 pic is the rear.

Attachments

·
Banned
398 Posts
It is so hard to read plugs in this day and age - a dyno shop operaror will get pretty good at as he also has other equipment to compare results with.
next you have to consider the RPM and load it was "pulled"at.
Idle?
100 MPH>?
it all changes in an instant.
The E gas, the heat range, the load, etc is all accumulative for the total answer.
Yes, if I was to try to guess without the necessary tool in the toolbox (AFR meter) I would say lean.
For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone will not bolt on an AEM or equivalent wide band .

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I agree with Misters, looks a little lean.
Which CV needle, n65 or velocity?
What size pilot?

·
Super Moderator
21,236 Posts
Plugs are hard to read with the gas we have these days. But with that saidm you should not be trimming the base fuel ratio with a needle.

What jets are installed now? And what needle did you buy?

·
Registered
17 Posts
How does it run? I am going through the same thing with my FXR3. I got the idle mixture screw plug removed and adjusting it helped. My symptoms were/are, It felt ok off idle, As soon as I gave it a little throttle it felt flat. It just wouldn't pull. Now it is much better off idle till about 3000 rpm, then still flat feeling. So to experiment, I pulled out the enricher and let'er rip. Huge difference. So today I plan on getting some jets. I currently have a 42 pilot and 170 main. going to 45 pilot and 180 main. I also have a high flow air cleaner and pipes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts