V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Ultra with an EVO equipped with fuel injection. SE4 cam, slightly oversize pistons (rebuilt top end in 2009), SE slip-ons, KN air filter. Recently I started having the engine light come on and the engine started bucking...not able to give it any throttle!!! Plugs are fouling out like crazy (less than 1 mile and they are carbon). I checked for cracked injector wires and removed and checked the injectors and reinstalled. Thought maybe I had bad/wrong gap/wrong plugs installed. Tried new plugs and nothing improved. At hot idle the engine tries to crank up to 4000 rpm. I can see the IAC kicking up the idle at this point. Smells badly like too much fuel!! Runs great when cold. I have not tried to remove the IAC and clean it, I also have not checked the intake gaskets yet. Any ideas??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as checking codes. I know a guy who owns a speed shop near me, but he said he can't read codes on a bike as old as my 98. I'm guessing I'll have to find a dealer?? Anyway. the head temp sensor is located in the center of the front head?? Any suggestions on an easy way the fish that sucker out of there besides having to pull the fuel tank, valve cover, rocker box, etc???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some poking around on the net and found out how to get the engine codes without any diagnostic equipment. That trick with the ignition switch on and and off to get the engine light to flash the codes with blinking lights is pretty neat. Never knew my bike could do that!! Anyway, it gave me a code of 14 which I discovered is the the code for the ETS (engine temp sensor) I also found some other info telling me about the 97 and 98's being notorious for ETS failure. Thanks HAWZILLA for leading me in a very good direction, I would have never thought of it without your info. I'll let you know what happens!

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can change the sensor by just loosening the tank and lifting it a bit. Sensor will come out with a deep well socket. Pretty easy to change out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there. Thanks to you HAWGZILLA, I now have a running bike. I ended up draining the fuel tank with a siphon and funneling the rest out of the crossover tube, and removing the tank. Also, removed the coil just to make getting a deep well socket in there a little easier. The engine temperature sensor was the problem. I found the 97 and 98 EVO's had problems with this. The Harley part number was 32466-95A, my local dealer had it in stock (I wasn't able to find an aftermarket) It cost around $95, and took me about an hour total with tear down and reassembly. Runs like a top now!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts