V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
No Use, when running the Crap they pass off as Gasoline these days.. Not Worthwhile.

PSA; When considering Octane. Note that almost all of our fuel, and most "boosters" use Alchohol to increase octane.. Look it up.... Me No Likey!! Quality Race Gas seems to still have real Gasoline with various additives, including Lead, (in some) the stuff I like to mix with gas in "true high performance" engines. Off Soapbox now.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Originally before I replaced the cam etc. I was trying to stop a noise I was hearing and many suggested higher octane, so I was adding Lucas octane booster for a couple tanks worth of fuel. Now I am running ethanol free 90+ octane. Headed to pick up my new plugs. I'll run it and see what they look like. I feel like maybe a 66 air bleed is to big? It came with a 40 installed. 2k-3 1/2k rpm is where I get the issue.
First suggestion... Know exactly what Pre-ignition sounds like. 2nd, I like yer Fuel Choice. 3rd, I;m thinking that with a Large Bleed, you are bringing the main in too late, Popping Lean??
Might be able to read plugs with that setup... But, only on complete shut down, after a WFO blast.. which still won't tell ya Nothing about the Transition... Maybe (just maybe) if you hold RPM is that transition "spot" for a bit, then Kill engine??
Never tried that...

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
There are still a couple of places around here that have pumps of VP110. Leaded. The last time I looked it was $8.50 a gal. Before this current economic fiasco. Years ago, you could pump it straight into your tank. Now only into a gas can. I ran it 50/50 in my EVO FX. Not a "true high performance" engine, but enough that I did have some detonation.

Now, nothing but ethanol free premium, 90 or 93. 50¢ or more extra per gallon and an 8-10 mile drive to get to the stations that sell it. Worth it to me. But getting harder to justify in my pea brain.
But... Cheaper than the result of Pre-ignition!!!
BTW Rarely do I run 50/50.. One Paricular Bike only seems to "need" about 25/75
Note; this is with Leaded race gas... as the very first introduction of Lead, results in an exponential initial "boost"..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts