V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These plugs have around a thousand miles on them. They are off my 04' Ultra. The plug on the right in each pic is the rear plug.

SE Perf Heads
95" Kit
Woods TW5G Cams
SERT
Rinehart TDs

I'm wondering if I need a retune. I went from SE 251 cams to the Woods gear drives a few months back. The bike runs like a champ with no backfiring whatsoever. I'm getting an average of 40-42 mpg. But I'm wondering how much my AFR across the range has changed.

I'm more of a diesel man than a gas burner. So feeling confident in reading these plugs I'm not. What's going on with em? Anything out of whack? I do plan on getting a run on the dyno soon to have the AFR checked.

Thanks for any opinions.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
timbo said:
These plugs have around a thousand miles on them. They are off my 04' Ultra. The plug on the right in each pic is the rear plug.

SE Perf Heads
95" Kit
Woods TW5G Cams
SERT
Rinehart TDs

I'm wondering if I need a retune. I went from SE 251 cams to the Woods gear drives a few months back. The bike runs like a champ with no backfiring whatsoever. I'm getting an average of 40-42 mpg. But I'm wondering how much my AFR across the range has changed.

I'm more of a diesel man than a gas burner. So feeling confident in reading these plugs I'm not. What's going on with em? Anything out of whack? I do plan on getting a run on the dyno soon to have the AFR checked.

Thanks for any opinions.
They look good to me. Do you have a SERT or a PCIII?

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
newultraclassic said:
They look good to me. Do you have a SERT or a PCIII?
I have the SERT. Like I said the thing runs great! But I'm kind of thinking since I've changed the cams that the AFR in certain spots may be lean or rich. The SE 251 and Woods TW5G are close in lift but different in duration.

I'm thinking about zipping down to Bike Week for a few days and I'd feel better if I knew everything was in check. I'd hate for it to be lean in that sweet cruise spot for 700 miles. Plus I'm wondering if I have some untapped ponies or torque since the cam swap that the SERT could reap.

( You can't see from the pic, but there isn't any of that popcorn crap around the insulator.)

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Nobody will be able to tell you with accuracy the answer to your questions by simply looking at the pics you posted. They're good pics but... You need to have a GOOD tuner and a dyno to get good answers to the questins you ask here. There are guys out there that can tune a bike without a dyno but they are a dying breed.

If I just had to know, and I didn't have any time or money. I'd run her out on the freeway at the planned or usual cruising speed for a few minutes and pul in the clutch and use the kill switch to shut down the engine at the same time. Right then and teher ya gotta pull the plugs and look. If you even so much as pull off an exit first you may skew your reading.

I'm no tuner, just sharing what I believe is fact. Though still ready to learn from others...anyone else care to weigh in?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts