V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to join the "Hoggin' The Bridge" mass rally today, in England. (1,000+ bikes, pissin' down with rain, loadsamoney to charity).

On the way (late as usual) managed to get up to 140mph. Soon after noticed that the rod would NOT idle - running on one cylinder at 3.5k rpm or less. Absolute nightmare over the bridges....had to run in 1st gear, slipping the clutch like crazy.

Has anoyone esle had a problem with a plug/HT lead/ECU or similar? If so, did you fix it? Or did you return to stealer and tell THEM to fix it....?

Cheers and keep it right up!

PAJ

·
Registered
603 Posts
paj, if your VROD is still under warranty, take it to your dealer. Simple and easy.

JMS

·
Banned
490 Posts
Poor idle - rough running

There are a number of possible things that could create the symptoms you have listed, but the most likely (IMHO) are:

1) Plugs have become fouled
2) Damaged wire or loose connection at battery or between ignition sensor and module.
3) Water or dirt has gotten into the fuel system or filter.
4) Broken valve spring.
5) Damaged valve.

Take it into your dealer. If they put it on the Scanalyzer they will quickly be able to tell if it is an electrical problem, which is a fairly quick and easy fix. If it is a valve problem it may take a little while longer for them to diagnose and repair.

The only warranty problem I've had was a "Check Engine" light that came on at 2800 miles. The dealer put it on the machine, and it was a faulty Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM), which they fixed under warranty. I had the bike back by noon the day after I took it into the shop.

Because I'm curious I asked what a new TSSM would cost - retail was $110, plus an hour to diagnose and install.

Running the bike at high speeds (140 mph) really should not be a problem for an engine that did 500 hours on the Porsche engine dyno that simulates a run on the autobahn. Likewise running in the rain should not cause a problem - but obviously something ain't right on your 'Rod. Is your "Check Engine" light on? Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Pop that airbox lid off and see if water is in the base. Also what do the plugs look like?The MoCo seems to have gone to great pains to make the wiring water tight. I would be suprised if a bad connection is to blame. I am very curious how the air flows over the headlight - front end assm.
Were you guys in a in each others slipstream?
any light you can shed would help. Thanks: Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the bike back to the dealer this morning. By 5pm they still could not figure out what the problem was. Nothing showed on the scanalyser (except the trip/mileometer was faulty). There were no engine distress lights - just a bad case of a second cylinder that would not fire unless I pushed the rpm to over 4k - and then not always.

PAJ

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would assume they pulled the plugs? Its curious that it happened after a WFO run in wet conditions[ a testament to D207's] I can't help but think you fouled a plug. Do you have an '02 with the temp sender behind the cylinder? Maybe the sensor was fooled into thinking the ambiant air temp was colder than it was [ it was wet so theres less O2] and she ran rich! fouled the plug. just wondering! Thanks:Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back on the road!!
Seems that ChopperSteve was on the right track...after 4 or 5 "try this and go for test run" they were about to give up then discovered water! They weren't too clear about where, but I understand it was not in the airbox but was wetting some fuse assembly (??) or other electrical component close by the air box. Anyway, they blew this out and...no more missfire! I accepted their offer to run it for a while to see if it re-occurs and 35 miles later it is still running sweet. Baffled? I am!!

paj

1 - 10 of 10 Posts