V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy my name is Claude and I'm new to this forum and I need some help, I want to buy a H-D and I found one it is a 1992 H-D Sportster 1200 he ask for 3000$ the bike is clean good condition no rust the engine run nice it has 24000 miles on it, the only thing I have to change the rear tire and the battery can anybodies give me any advice
PS.It is my first Harley
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
Sorry I can't help you. I'm sure some of the technical guys will be kicking in any minute now. But just wanted to say :welcome: to the forum and good luck with your purchase.
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
That sounds like a "fair" deal. That is to say about what the bike should cost. I bring this up to point out that if it doesn't work for this bike, you should be able to do that, or better on the next one.

THe first concern I have is that - since you say the bike is needing a battery - have you heard it run? The nice thing about Harleys is that you can tell nearly as much listening to them, as riding them.

If you have someone you know, that knows about these bikes, I'd have them go with you and take a listen. If not, it may be worth the cost of having a shop give it the once over. Paying for one hour's labor before you buy could save you a lot of headaches after, and at least could let you know what sort of things may be issues.

Finally, while I realize that inances are likely an issue (they are for all of us), but nationally dealers are very willing right now to deal on Sportsters. Of course you will not get a brand new 1200 for anything like $3000.00, but speaking from the experience of my first motorcycle (a ten year-old at the time Sportster) I wold have been way ahead to have invested the extra money in goinng brand new. With the new bike, in addition to zero miles, you'll have the rubber-mount motor, and the 2-year warranty. This gives you a greater ability to know your costs and avoid "surprises".

Harris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
If the 'lectrics {turn signals, lights, horn, brake light} need any work or have been messed with, just walk away...unless you know its "just an old battery", there could be $$$ to be spent on repairs. Starters, stators, regulators and the worst thing "wirrering thats been messed with" all cost $$$$. Replacing the tire will include packing the wheel bearings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
I like the suggestion of buying a new sportster. a new sportster 883 is priced at $6600. this time of year is a good time to buy. the new bikes are out, people have upgraded and want to sell their used bikes. If you look around you might find someone that bought a sportster and wants to sell it for a good price. I would think you could find a 2004 sportster for around $5000. if you put $1000 into the bike your looking at that puts you just a grand away from a new bike. you might find a dealer with some 2005s on their showroom floor.

try Ben Breece 419-523-4274 they're in Ohio. good people fair prices.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 1200 sportster custom. In the process of looking around I did find several bikes 2004 or 2005 that were used. Some even 883's. Problem I had was the used bikes even with 10,000 - 15,000 miles were within $1,000 of the price of a new bike.

I did find one used '05 that had only 1,000 miles on it and was in almost perfect condition and it ended up costing $28 less than the price of my vivid black '06 custom.

I think you might be able to find some pre '04 bikes that are 883 for pretty good prices. One HD sales guy I was talking to said that they didn't even like taking pre '04 sportsters because they were hard to sell now that the rubber mounted bikes are out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Harris said:
That sounds like a "fair" deal. That is to say about what the bike should cost. I bring this up to point out that if it doesn't work for this bike, you should be able to do that, or better on the next one.

THe first concern I have is that - since you say the bike is needing a battery - have you heard it run? The nice thing about Harleys is that you can tell nearly as much listening to them, as riding them.

If you have someone you know, that knows about these bikes, I'd have them go with you and take a listen. If not, it may be worth the cost of having a shop give it the once over. Paying for one hour's labor before you buy could save you a lot of headaches after, and at least could let you know what sort of things may be issues.

Finally, while I realize that inances are likely an issue (they are for all of us), but nationally dealers are very willing right now to deal on Sportsters. Of course you will not get a brand new 1200 for anything like $3000.00, but speaking from the experience of my first motorcycle (a ten year-old at the time Sportster) I wold have been way ahead to have invested the extra money in goinng brand new. With the new bike, in addition to zero miles, you'll have the rubber-mount motor, and the 2-year warranty. This gives you a greater ability to know your costs and avoid "surprises".

Harris
I start the bike whit some cables from the car and I heard it run.
Thanks a lot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rock_Steady said:
Sorry I can't help you. I'm sure some of the technical guys will be kicking in any minute now. But just wanted to say :welcome: to the forum and good luck with your purchase.

Thanks a lot
 

·
Bugs
Joined
·
47 Posts
Just bought a 2006 1200c

I spent a lot of time searching the Internet for a late 1200 C and finally had a 2004 stocker with 2,600 miles in perfect condition pending for $8,500.00. When I figured in the transfer tax, license, and minimum mods compared to a new one with a dealer willing to bend on the mods, the diff was less than $1,500.00. I'd say look hard at new too.
 

·
I haven't seen your bird.
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
I spent a lot of time searching the Internet for a late 1200C and finally had a 2004 stocker with 2,600 miles in perfect condition pending for $8,500.00.
I saw a 2003 1200C on my local dealer's showroom floor (virtually identical to mine with 3K+ on the clock) with the same asking price. I'd be looking at new, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MadCity said:
I saw a 2003 1200C on my local dealer's showroom floor (virtually identical to mine with 3K+ on the clock) with the same asking price. I'd be looking at new, too.
yes you are right but I don't have 8000$ I only have 3000$ to buy a bike
 

·
Infidel
Joined
·
6,331 Posts
madpittbull said:
Hy my name is Claude and I'm new to this forum and I need some help, I want to buy a H-D and I found one it is a 1992 H-D Sportster 1200 he ask for 3000$ the bike is clean good condition no rust the engine run nice it has 24000 miles on it, the only thing I have to change the rear tire and the battery can anybodies give me any advice
PS.It is my first Harley

Take a look at cycletrader.com. There are a TON of late model sportsters for sale.

I would keep saving my money and keep my eye out for a better deal.

Or if you really gotta have it, talk him down.

Offer 2K.

The bike is 14 years old with less than 2K miles per year, in AZ where ya'll have year round riding. That means it has been sitting a lot. You could be looking at a lot more than tires and a battery. Like replacing all the gaskets in the top end, etc.

Good luck. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
'04 or later.....

Just bought my first HD / XL1200C several months ago. If you really don't think you need a 1200, an 883 is quite a bit less, and will pull you around fine.
I went with the 1200 almost entirely due to resale. In my area, 883's are everywhere for sale,.....good deals for sure.
However, the upgrades / changes to the '04 year models are pretty great.
Unless it's a steal, I'd figure out a way to get an '04 or newer.
Also, for resale, it seems the Customs are more in demand than the R's, but ride what you're comfortable with.
I was hesitant about forward controls on the C, but within 50 miles, it's right at home and entirely natural. (coming from *** standards and sport tours)
Also, don't be affraid to drive a little to get the bike / color / price you want. Dealers are competitive, but I went 50 miles to non home dealer and saved about $350 Honestly, I don't plan to make too many visits to the HD dealer.
If you will always be going to the dealer for maintenance (basic stuff seems insanely easy on these) that may point your decision too.
So, the 1200 C is fun, light, nimble bike, but big enough for some highway and 2 up riding. I would personally buy a new 883 rather than a pre '04 1200 if that's what the budget can do.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top