Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Standard

Votes: 8 50.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've been a biker enthusiast for a realtively short time (less than a year), but I could use all of your help. I'm planning on purchasing a new bike when I get a new job (hopefully within the next month). The problem is, I don't know which Softail I should purchase. I'm torn between the Softail Standard and the Nightrain. Please help me decide!

At first, I thought the Nightrain was the perfect fit for me. This was because the Nightrain was different in the ways of sporting the black engine. I thought this was the bike for me, as it sported the "black sheep of the family" much as I am to my family. But listening to my brother's advice, I am now swayed to go for the Standard. There are certain perks & flaws with each bike. For instance, the Nightrain boasts the unique side of my personality which with I can very much identify. On the other hand, the Standard screams for customization, which I'm all for as well. Don't get me wrong, the Nightrain can be customized as much as the Standard, but it's a simple question of whether I want to go for the classic chrome look with the Standard or stand out in the crowd by boasting a unique touch with the black & chrome of the Nightrain. I'm really torn between the two. Can you guys help me decide? Thanks for your advice in advance!

·
Registered
312 Posts
lol buy what you want..not what your brother or anyone on here thinks you want. nighttrain is a bad ass ride, one of the few H-Ds that stand out in a lot full of H-Ds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went with the Night Train because I like the look of Black and Chrome. With the Night Train you decide just how much chrome you want. I've seen a lot of stained silver engines,either the people didn't take care of them or it's just inherent with the silver. I wanted a Softail with a Black and Chrome engine in a Standard configuration with a 21" tire....they don't make one, so I figured I could make one out of the FXSTB easier than the FXST. If I ever wanted to, The Black grew on me and its a lot less polishing which equates to more riding time.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I like the Heritage because it has the full front and rear fenders. Its really a personal descision. If its any help, the odds are pretty good that your tastes will change again, at least once or twice, in the next year or so. Therefore, its doesn't matter what you get (LOL).

·
Registered
312 Posts
9x23FXSTBI said:
The Black grew on me and its a lot less polishing which equates to more riding time.
You haven't cleaned that black yet.......:D

If you haven't got the bike yet........you may consider a used "softail custom" FXSTC They used to make, i think it had a black and polished engine like the heritage in it, with lots more chrome then the standard. But i think that they ended in 99, so no TC just an evo.

Like this one

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
personally i dont like the way the standards engine looks, rough cast i guess. nightrains are sweet looking, i like the looks of the one on the hd website with the 5 star rims. sweet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe this will work, Since I took this picture I've added a black Thunderstar front wheel and a black ring on the air cleaner and a LePera seat.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice ride.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can customize either to your hearts desire. I also bought the Night Train for the same reason, its different.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've bought a Standard because I liked the idea of working on the bike to make it into what I would figure out I wanted.
Other bikes in the Softail line come with a specific look whilst the Standard is pretty much neutral and to me is like a white canvas.
So far everything is as expected and the bike is starting to take the shape I want.
I agree with the comments about the engine and I am trying to figure out how to improve the looks of it.
Chroming it out will help but chrome and silver do not contrast enough for my taste.

Maybe one day I'll pull the engine and will get it all chromed out or painted black.

One day I'll wake up and the solution will be there.
That's the beauty of Harleys.

Good luck

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
You pick what you want and what you will be happy with. Technically, they are the same bike with different clothing.

Good luck

·
Registered
236 Posts
I fought between a deuce, nightrain, and standard. The cast looking standard turned me off and what it would take to put it right was too much. Nightrain almost got me, but wondered how I'd like being all black and hard to see...finally the Deuce took control. Each his own! Now you decide!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I dig the hell outta my Night Train. The only problem I have with it is the forward controls. I've got long legs and with the drag bars, after a couple of hours my legs start to get a little cramped (I usually just prop my legs up on the pegs). I'm definately going to have to install a set of extensions of some sort. Haven't decided which ones though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really think the Night Train is the way to go. I really enjoy the more aggressive riding position. I have a question for the last post, I was also considering some forward control extensions. I am 6' 1", just wondering how tall you are ? I would rather save my money for other add ons for the bike,but I can't really decide on staying with the with stock controls or not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am 5'11" and I put the Kuryakyn 3" extended forward controls on and I am alot more comfortable riding. These are cast plates that use the original pegs(or any other you prefer, the set doesn't come with any). These were about the only ones I could find for the 02 softail.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm 6 foot on the dot. I found a set of extensions on J&P's site I'll prolly end up with. Just under 200 bucks I think. It's not a full set of controls though. Just extended mounts for the stock controls, but it comes with a new shifter rod and a stainless brake line. Other than maybe a seat, this'll be the only major thing I'll do to the chassis. I'd rather pump my money into gofast goodies.

A quick question for 9x23FXSTBI; Did you have to use the stock brake and shift levers on your Kuryakyn set (it looks like it)?? Those babies look great....

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. First off, let me thank everyone for their opinions on this matter. I have finally made up my mind...

At first, I wanted the Nightrain, but as I said, my brother recommended the Standard to me for the chroming aspect. After careful consideration & deliberation, I've finally decided to go with the Nightrain. It just seems an overall better fit for me & I like the difference the Nightrain offers. The blacked out engine is just the thing for me. Plus, I have many mods that I've already picked out for the bike.

I guess the first thing to do is to get a real job so I can afford the Nightrain. After that, it's on to custom city, with no looking back! Thanks again for all of your opinions! I really appreciate it!

Here she is...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I reused the shifter,master cylinder, and brake pedal. I had to get the extended foot pegs because I wanted more room for my feet on the brake side. I was planning on changing them once I saw something else that I like, but for now they are fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts