V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and have been breaking my back riding my 2002 883R around northern indiana since I purchased it brand new. (OLD AND FAT)Anyway, long story short, I found a 02 Road Glide that has 14,000 miles on it at a car dealer in Michigan. My concern is that the original owner installed hooker slip ons and did not change the AC or get a down load. The owner of the car dealer called the previous owner who stated that with the exception of the pipes it was 100% stock. My question is could ther be any residual damage done to the engine from running the bike like this for 14,000 miles, Will it have an effect on the durability of this motor etc., or is it most likely fine. I do not know much about the efi or the twin cam on these harleys's but I can tell you what happens when you run a LS1 camaro to lean for to long at the strip (not pretty). It was really cold today when I looked at it and i did not have time to take it on a ride yet but it started up fine although it actually smelled like it might be burning a little rich.

It also has the removable tour pack with the speakers on it, are there any provisions on the stock wire harness to hook them up? There is a quick connect fitting out of the pack for speakers.

Thanks in advance as any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Q

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
qew9999 said:
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and have been breaking my back riding my 2002 883R around northern indiana since I purchased it brand new. (OLD AND FAT)Anyway, long story short, I found a 02 Road Glide that has 14,000 miles on it at a car dealer in Michigan. My concern is that the original owner installed hooker slip ons and did not change the AC or get a down load. The owner of the car dealer called the previous owner who stated that with the exception of the pipes it was 100% stock. My question is could ther be any residual damage done to the engine from running the bike like this for 14,000 miles, Will it have an effect on the durability of this motor etc., or is it most likely fine. I do not know much about the efi or the twin cam on these harleys's but I can tell you what happens when you run a LS1 camaro to lean for to long at the strip (not pretty). It was really cold today when I looked at it and i did not have time to take it on a ride yet but it started up fine although it actually smelled like it might be burning a little rich.

It also has the removable tour pack with the speakers on it, are there any provisions on the stock wire harness to hook them up? There is a quick connect fitting out of the pack for speakers.

Thanks in advance as any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Q
Rgs are nice bikes.
If only the exhaust was changed there should be no damage at all.
If the air cleaner was changed to Stage 1 without some change to the
ecm there could be an issue.
You could look at the spark plugs.
Not sure about your second question but I would bet that it has the
same wiring harness as other touring bikes.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Buy it, ride it, you will LOVE it!!! Just pipes = OK
Dead of winter, make sure they make you a great deal!!! Big glut of clean low mileage used bikes around, be sure to let the CAR salesman you kknow that!

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
I agree with the others. Just changing the pipes makes hardly any difference in air flow. The engine should be fine. I would still check the plugs tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts