V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm getting ready to do a complete paint overhual on my Fatboy. I have a lot of chrome on the bike and those machine gun looking exhaust pipes. I forgot the brand at the moment. haha I upgraded all of the chrome parts and accessories on the bike with the Harley Skull products. I want to stick with either a military theme or a skull theme.

Any recommendations on what to do? I have custom chrome billet wheels and a phattail conversion. I'm installing a drag bar on it as well.

Post up any pictures of your favorite painted Softtail or any chopper that I might take some ideas from. Thanks!

Here are pictures of how the bike looks now.

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
Did you ever see the Bomber II skins for the V-Rod from H-D? A paint theme based somewhat on that idea might go with your pipes and the amount of sheet metal you have to work with. Just a thought.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Stay away from camo, you want to be seen.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Warning
The following is a personal opinion of the poster.

Hi.

IMHO, unless you were in the Military, it is best to not go with that theme.
Many Vets feel that you have to earn the right to do so, and get insulted.
If you were, then a theme showing the branch you served in would be far more original and have a personal meaning for you as well.{salute(

Skulls.
Just like the old "Live to ride, ride to live" the first ones were original, then everybody and there brother had it on the there bike, and I mean ALL OVER THE BIKE!
Nothing to me screams "DORK" louder skulls everywhere.....except to paint a bike by taking a poll on a website.

Look, this is YOUR BIKE and if you are to do a custom paint theme, then it should be a reflection of you and what you envision as the perfect bike.
Sit down with your painter, toss some ideas back and forth and draw it out.

But what ever you do, try to be original, not a cookie cutter RUB machine.

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Well, first off, I think your bike looks great the way it is, but I can certainly relate to the "itch" for something new every so often. I have been brainstorming on themes myself as of late. I thought of many themes for the deuce......inspiration from the music I like, to my favorite album covers, favorite sayings, planes, guns, etc. The military idea is a good one (I would'nt worry about whether or not you've served) and maybe you can tie into the machine gun pipes idea somehow. One thing I considered was a theme based on some of the old nose art that adorned the planes of WW II. Stuff like the Memphis Belle, Sharks teeth, Detroit Miss, etc.

In the end, I decided to go with somethig a bit more basic (not flames) for my first set of custom tins, but I'll be keeping my original set for a new idea down the road. Good luck whatever you decide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts