V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi people:) I have on order a 2003 Road King Classic but I have been eyeing a 2003 Electra Glide Classic, now we don't know which one we want:( We will be doing alot of two up rideing, that is for sure. I see the Glide Classic does not have the cruise controle but does have alot of other things on it, like a radio:) rear travel pack. I kind of like the idea of the fairing also. Can cruise control be put on a Electra Glide Classic? The CD player is also a added feature that I think I would like also. I just don't know what to do now, I don't think my dealer would care if I did not take the road King. Thank you people for any help:cool:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I believe all the 2002 fuel injected touring bikes are partly prewired for the cruise control. I know my 2002 FLHR-I is ready for it. It is a $300 accessory, plus a couple hours labor to install. It is on my list for the future.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
IMHO, BOTH are very good bikes. You can't go wrong. 'not many times in your life you can feel like that.

Just a few thoughts that you may not have considered, the Road King is sportier and many view it as a more desirable bike. Customizing of the Road King is easier and resale may be easier.

My ride? The Geezer Glide---I use the TourPak and radio ALL the time. The bike is built for the long haul and carrying two people.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well it depends what you want.

Everyone is different.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
The bike is pre-wired for cruise. No big deal. If you like the extra gagits, did you take a look at the Ultra?
Brian

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys:) Man this thing ain't going to be easy, but then again, who said life was;) I think we are going to rent a Ultra in October, I think once we ride a Ultra Classic, I think we can rest easyer;) I just don't know what "look we want to go after" There is a big differance between a road King Classic and a Ultra Glide Classic:)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Decision aid

Suggest you rent one of each. The only way you'll have a clue for youself is to actually experience each one - not discounting others' inputs, I just know that what feels good for one is not necessarily the same for another.
Here in Orlando, rentals are available for 49 + 15 insurance per day. I recently rode a loaner (Heritage softail) while my FLHT was being serviced. Neat ride, almost bought that instead, but now that I've ridden one, I'm even more convinced that the FLHT is the right bike for me.
To me, it's worth the 130 bucks to find out which is right for you.
The '02 FLHT Standard is ready for cruise install (wires/controls in place) in stock form.
Good rides,
Don

·
Registered
354 Posts
RainRider,
That's a very good rate for an all day rental. Is this a Harley dealer or a rental company? Do they have a web site?

I'd ride over from Saint Petersburg for those prices:D

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
rentals

OldBoy, here is their website.
http://www.orlandoharley.com/rentals/
You might want to call them first. I'm kinda wondering if the rate given might have been because the first day was free, as a loaner, with the 49 dollar/day for extra days as part of the "existing customer/purchaser of bike there."
From all I could tell, though, that is a standard rate.
good rides,
Don

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well people, I went to a open house at Gutteridge Harley Davidson in Danville, IL. WOW, must have been 400 bikes there. Had lots of free food, free non-alcoholic beverages and a band that just started to play as we were leaving. I did pay $25 for a ticket to win a 2002 Road King. Now, they should be calling me right about now telling me I won;) But anyway, I seen alot of Electra Glide Ultras and alot of Electra Glide Classics and alot of Road King Classics and I thought driving over there today my decision would be made by the end of the day. Well, guess what? The end of the day is near but the decision is not:confused: I think I pretty much ruled out the Ultra. I don't need lowers on the fairing, I don't need a CB and I don't need a intercom. But with the Electra Glide Classic, cruise control can be put on, so thats no biggy. So, here I sit, still can't decide but, hey, I got awhile before I need to make this decision. I'm trying to convince the wife she would be more happy on the Glide. So, you can see which way I'm going:D Got to go, the phone is ringing and I think it's my call:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
MarkCuda - You Stated Something Like...

<<<"We will be doing a lot of two up rideing, that is for sure">>>

(I have an E-Glide Classic, so I must preface my bias first! LOL)

What I have heard repeatedly, is if you buy the RK (which I think is a fine 2nd choice) you will need to replace the stock seat, and pick up either a sissy bar, or rear trunk, etc. to have anything comfortable for the passenger.

The Glide is ready for a passenger right out of the gate. Some do replace the seat with the "H-D Road Zepplin" seat, if you want to do 600 miles plus daily.

The fairing -- I have friends that won't ride a bike with a fairing. Me, now? I like the fairing. During the winter, my friends want to pull over ocassionally to thaw out their hands. I'm comfortable, and thinking (man, what a waste of time..LOL).

Music. Road Info. And Dang, Weather Channels!!! On the Glide only..

With the Glide, you can buy a docking platform to quickly remove/attach the trunk.

The King is a sportier, more nostalgic look. Both the have the same frames, specs, etc. Othet than minor differences in weight, etc.

Based on looks, the King probably has the edge. For straight up comfort/touring..the Glides glides...

Boils down, to....

What do you like?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I bought the RK Classic in June, had the same questions you have. As most have said, hard to go wrong. The SO and I have put just under 9,000 miles in the last 90 days, no long trips, just lots of short (3-500 mile) ones. Over the weekend I rode solo (SO had plans) to Las Vegas and back in the same day, about 600 miles. No problem on the stock seat at all. Averaged about 80+ or so on the interstate going, maybe 75 returning (dark out).

I ride mine about 50% without the windshield, and to me the bike looks killer that way. I would suspect that the fairing models would be better (frame mounted I think) when comparing to a King with the windshield on, depends on how you will use the bike.

Either way, you will want the cruise control (imho). I don't use it all the time (maybe 30-50% on the interstate) but it really makes a diference on the longer hauls.

good luck, greg

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
It is a tough decision to make, the Road King (either one) or the Electra Glide ( any model), hell I couldn't do it. I had to get them both and still can't say which one I would give up if I had to. My brother has an 02 Low Rider which I ride some and I know I would never buy a bike without a windshield and floorboards, you just get spoiled on the touring models.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, you fine people, "we" made our decision, just look at my signature:cool: Thank you all for giving advice:)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Glad you two made up your mind, Believe me, my woman was instrumental in selecting our new FLHRCI. I probably would have gone for a Fatboy but comfort for the long haul won out. Ride safe!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts