V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other night I was cruising home from work at 4am in Tampa , as I usually do at night , with no eyewear ( on an Ultra Classic with stock BIG windshield ) and cop ask's ,"know why we stopped u"? I'm like , no fukin clue ... he proceeds to tell me I need the eye protection fastened to my head ... a tall winshield isn't enuff ( I already told him my view ).
So what IS the true definition? , His view was the crotch rocket ones don't do that , and I said IF the windshield is substantially taller than my eye line under the top of it it IS eye protection.
Whats you guys opinion?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am serious , most states DO allow that with a full coverage windshield .... is no different than driving a convertible
Then again some states don't allow concealed carry guns either and that puzzles me too as police are an after the fact deal in crime where a armed citizen can actually prevent one

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reminded of my very first traffic stop in 1967. Me on a just-purchased used Yamaha 65cc scoot, no window and no shades. Jeez, dumb. I think I had a helmet that was thrown in with the scoot for it's $75 purchase price since the shifter housing was cracked and shifted eratically.

Cop pulled me over and told me to go back the 1 block to get some glasses. Never would have known back then, so still grateful for that stop.

Now I wear company-issued Smith & Wesson safety glasses - clear at night, shades at day, even though the Heritage has a shield - bugs still get around that.

But, with a full-sized shield, that was a bogus stop for you. Musta been a slow day in town.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
rydermike said:
Other night I was cruising home from work at 4am in Tampa , as I usually do at night , with no eyewear ( on an Ultra Classic with stock BIG windshield ) and cop ask's ,"know why we stopped u"? I'm like , no fukin clue ... he proceeds to tell me I need the eye protection fastened to my head ... a tall winshield isn't enuff ( I already told him my view ).
So what IS the true definition? , His view was the crotch rocket ones don't do that , and I said IF the windshield is substantially taller than my eye line under the top of it it IS eye protection.
Whats you guys opinion?

My opinion is that Florida sucks as bad as California. :fart:

A quick search found this on a Florida website:

316.211 Equipment for motorcycle and moped riders.--

"A person may not operate a motorcycle unless the person is wearing an eye-protective device over his or her eyes of a type approved by the department."

I did not see anything that indicates that a tall windshield makes you exempt from this rule. (Although I agree with your view on the subject)

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Got a bruise on my right lower eye lid due to a bug comming around my Ultra C's shield last week comming back from Tennessee. I had glasses on as well. Taught me a "more" valuable lesson. I need better glasses.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Varies state to state. Some states allow a winsheild over a certain height to count. Which is kinda funny too, cause doesn't take into account height.

Even with a windsheild, I still wear glasses. Its just a good practice.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Did he give you a ticket or let you off with a warning? I agree with the analogy between the windshield and the convertible. He was probably fishing...

·
Registered
443 Posts
berserker said:
Varies state to state. Some states allow a winsheild over a certain height to count. Which is kinda funny too, cause doesn't take into account height.

Even with a windsheild, I still wear glasses. Its just a good practice.
So do I. Had to get my lids flipped and flushed once to remove a bug that some how got lodged in the BACK of my eye socket. Was about the size of a house fly, and FELT like a small bird. No fun.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
rydermike said:
Yeah I am serious , most states DO allow that with a full coverage windshield .... is no different than driving a convertible
I ride a motorcycle. Therefore, I don't ride with a windshield. If I wanted to ride with a windshield, I'd take the car. Oh yeah, and I never ride without eye protection, but that's just me.

For the record, I think it should be your own choice. Kind of like wearing a helmet.

Ice

·
Registered
119 Posts
Around here, they'll ding you at night with shaded glasses, even yellow tinted ones which actually allow you to see better. But they won't say a word to kids on mopeds with no eyewear, mostly because they're unregulated, and can't be used on a highway. It gets even better with those mopeds. Kids can ride them with no helmets, too, yet they are required to wear a helmet on a bicycle until age 16, and a helmet on a motorcycle until age 18. :rolleyes: I myself keep a pair of clears in the bag on the bike in case I work late, have to ride home in the dark. When I had my E-glide, I wore them all the time too.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
hate to pee in your post toasties but even with a tall windshield there can be serious threats to your eyesight...in the form of projectiles that can come from a line above the windshield by penetrating the protective airstream and dust/sand raised by other vehicles and caught up in the low pressure area behind the windshield. an inexpensive pair of stylish safety glasses are cheap insurance against this type of problem.

it is different in a convertible as the top edge of the windshiled is quite a bit higher and further back than your motorcycle windscreen preventing any serious threat.

a windshield does not constitute "eyewear". to be honest i have never really seen (maybe just not paying enough attention) a motorcyclist ride without some sort of protective eyewear. not quite as cumbersome or uncomfortable as some think a helmet is.

careful...in some states "eywear" must be safety rated also. not that theyre gonna take the time to check but its another ticket when youre feeling cocky enough to challenge an officer instaed of kiss a little ass looking for a warning or nothing at all...the street isnt a place to hold court and most cops arent interested in debating law during a traffic stop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dunno , i've owned convertibles from old gto,4-4-2's and the like to mgb's that had FAR less coverage or same as from most full dresser's , while I usually do wear eyewear ,early morning hours in town at low speeds (under 45mph ) I'd prefer to have the advantage of more periphial vision ( no arms from glasses interfering ) without , especially at times bars let out , and i happen to finish work dropping gas. At worse the guy shoulda gave me a warning ticket and told me to put glasses on , buy I guess him & his pee wee buddy were bored.... funny thing is I never had any trooper even look at me twice in traffic

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
newultraclassic said:
Does this mean that you won't be moving out here to live with us now? Aww Gee! :woohoo:

Now c'mon NUC, I was born in The United States Of America {salute(

I heard somewhere that only illegals are now allowed to relocate to the state of California.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
black05flhrci said:
Now c'mon NUC, I was born in The United States Of America {salute(

I heard somewhere that only illegals are now allowed to relocate to the state of California.

No, they sometimes permit native-born citizens to enter California to change residences but they have to wait at the border until some of the illegals leave. :)

By the way, Arizona requires eye protection but no helmet. Go figure.

~!Awesome!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
newultraclassic said:
No, they sometimes permit native-born citizens to enter California to change residences but they have to wait at the border until some of the illegals leave. :)

~!Awesome!
its easier to ride without a helmet than it is without being able to see....go
figure

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
newultraclassic said:
And we want to keep it that way, so don't send us DICK Floyd. :nono:

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
Yes, Florida does require eye protection but not helmets. I've seen riders stopped at Bike Week and Biketoberfest because of this. Biketoberfest is later this week - pay attention people, you need glasses, goggles, or a face shield to stay on the right side of the law. Don't ruin your trip because you didn't have eye protection.
:RTFB:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts