V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all received your email from the Admin today. For whatever reason David has chosen to fight the MOCO. It's not enough that he built this site from his own pocket or that he refuses to make it a subscription based site, choosing instead to spend countless hours monitoring and editing the site, always improving it for free. Now he's faced with having to consider dipping even deeper for legal help.

I guess as Harley owners we can all sympathize with someone who becomes a little obsessed with their hobbies, at the detriment to our pocketbooks, and the Old Lady's (OM's) new kitchen floor/ HDTV.

Yeah, a naked chick car wash , or a chili cook off (cause i would win) would be great... someday. Fact is Dp is up against it NOW. Come on boys and girls, click on the paypal---------------------------------->
pull out your platinum and send over a couple of bucks. That's all he needs. Remember the old saying; "a little from many can mean alot."
More importantly it will show DP that the site means a little more to us than just a visit to MSNBC or IWON. Speaking for myself, this site is worth a subscription, just on the savings I have received from reading the posts of some very knowledgeable folks here. But David is right that if I was required to pay before I got a chance to really spend some time here I would have clicked on, never knowing what I was missing.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Great post ! Except for trying to get anyone to believe you could win a Chili Cookoff. NEW YOURK CITY! :eek: Well you know the rest. LOL!

Let's not allow this thread to become an exchange of who has contributed and who has not. That is extremely counter productive to the SPIRIT of this Forum.

A good guy is having problems right now and if y'all can help, please do.

A little from a lot sends a message to the Big Dogs.

Whereas HD sends out a fake "Welcome To The Family", let's show them what Family Values and support are all about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First of all I am amazed, no, I take that back, nothing HD does anymore surprizes me, that harley davidson has taken upon itself to dictate it's standards to this forum. HD doesn't know a good thing when it's right in front of them. There isn't a vehicle on the road today, automobile or motorcycle, that doesn't have a forum, with the name of the manufacturer's marque in it, somewhere on the WWW. Most manufacturers support these forums and see them as quasi customer-based support platforms. What the hell is HD scared of??

A letter/email writing campaign? Chili gives me heartburn. The naked chick bike wash has possibilities. If we display a Harley Davidson banner would we be in violation of some HD regulatory statute :rolleyes: ??

Stayin' tuned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Couldn't he just change the domain name, remove the cool H-D logo on the glove, and save himself tons of frustration?

For example, go to http://www.millertime.com

I can understand why Miller brewing wants ownership of a site that uses thier own slogan.

However, the Internet was developed as first come first serve in respect to domain names. So.....

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
DJW,
Great post, and I agree with not changing the name and fighting, would we have found this site if it were not for the name? Cmon guys how about 20 bucks for a great cause. And Harley doesn't have a clue, those that do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. Remember HD you almost lost it once it can happen again!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree with you guys, just hope it doesn't turn into a Dave vs. Goliath, if it does they will win. But I also agree look at the Corvette forum, or Surpa Forum they have semi-company supported, but not Harley Davidson Forum.

Regarding donations heck $20 -$30 is a lot less than most Harley Mags cost a year and a lot less than other subscriptions.

I support Dave in his endeavor, but I still feel that, just maybe, we can work with the MoCo and not against them; don't see any winners in the end of that battle. Of course I haven’t seen all the emails between the MoCo and Dave either, so I don't know the tone or approach each are taking. But hopefully we aren’t telling them, up yours, before we have a chance to work together either. Good luck Dave.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry, not to offend anyone, but imho you can't fight city hall. You are dealing with a corporation that has a team of lawyers that can ruin any individual they want. The pen is mightier than the sword. Its unfair, I dont like it, and it would be better to save your hard earned $$'s cause they, unfortuantely will prevail with there deep pockets.You can get away w/murder if you have enough funds-ask oj. It's a shame HD doesnt see the potential that the administrator has already done for them!! This forum could be the building blocks of something AWSOME! What am I saying, this place already rocks!!! Good luck, and I would pay a subscribtion fee here anyday if needed!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I disagree since I have gone throught a similar battle as Dprice with another company regarding domain names I owned, the fact is, when it comesd to the law while size helps because they obviiusly have the funding, if the law is on your side and you can find a good lawyer it van be handled, Afterall there are lawyers who specialize in domain name and trademark laws and to be honest many would love the chance especially if the law is on there side to take up this cause, mostly because it could be great publicity for them.

Also many times in these cases emails and letters are sent because they hope the person will do exactly as you say and figure its not worth fighting because they will lose anyway, this way the company in question spends very little and avoids a lawsuit which would cause them bad press and money. If everyone just gave up and didnt fight to protect there interests when they are being encroached upon illegally then where would we be? This country began by people deciding they wouldnt be bullied.

dprice has my support both financially as well as all resources legally and technically.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey, read yer Book. David kicked the **** out a Goliath and choped this fuckin head off.

HEY DPRICE !!!! ????

WTF are you waiting for? If they continue to get stupid, invite a member of the Press in to have a look around. A good human interest story to go along with their 03 phoney advertising. LOL!

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The legal battle over who will eventually own this site is really not relevent to whether you choose to donate to help this site stay alive.

The pressing issue is that David has been forced to remove the advertising from the site which had helped pay for his out-of-pocket expenses. If David decides to fight a legal battle over this site that will be another issue all together.

So please don't hold back your "two cents" because you think the MOCO legal team will put the site out of buisness. DP still has 90 days to comply with the deadlines "proposed" by the MOCO. In the meantime DP will continue to run this site as always, however he has made some changes to comply with certain aspects of the MOCO demands, the most important being that the site must be "non-commerical." If DP chooses to eventually "redirect" the domain name, a very minor change technically speaking, his investment in this site will be "redirected as well."

That's the last I'll say on the subject, I'm starting to sound like those guys on PBS.

PS. JimmyK, It hardly seems fair to have a chili cook off with you: you will get to taste my far superior recipe, while all I'll get is a mouthful of yours (and the blue ribbon of course). Hee Hee.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
DJW said:

PS. JimmyK, It hardly seems fair to have a chili cook off with you: you will get to taste my far superior recipe, while all I'll get is a mouthful of yours (and the blue ribbon of course). Hee Hee.

LOL! Well living here in Texas there are two things that one can pretty well count on.

(1) Murder someone and you will find yourself taking a number for the Huntsville Juice Bar and...

(2) There is little fear of anyone from New York kickin yer ass in a Chilli Cookoff.

BlaHAHAPassTheChileButHoldTheJuice HA!

Now come on man. My brother Manny lives in Napa. No one on the planet can wine brag the brother.

I live in Texas, Chile is home here.

Hippo lives in Arizona. No one can ....... ? Can..............?
Hippo WTF are you doing in Arizona man!?!

BlaHAIndependentHarleyRidersDot HA! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts