V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all !
Well I am almost ashamed to ask this question, but once asked I won't have to ask again! I just bought my '01 deuce and I didn't get a manaul with it. I will buy one. I am trying to change the oil. It looks like a small plug in the bottom of the crankcase is the drain? It has a small 1/4" allen head plug in it. Is this the drain point? If so wow it is tight, I have tried to remove it with a small allen wrench, but Iis going to require a cheater bar on it for help. Bfore I do this I want to be sure am doing the right thing. An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure as they say! Is there some sort of locktite on the plug? I know ther isn't a drain onthe oil tank. Sorry to ask such a simple question, but if i knew I wouldn't have to ask! Thanks y'all-Rob:) :)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Three plugs.

1 Dummy
1 Trans
and 1 Engine.

The one you are messing with, verticle or horizontal?

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vertical, on the bottom of the crankcase

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

Sounds like your Tranny to me, but wait and let the JimmyK or somebody confirm.
(I've a RoadKing, they might be different?)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yep that is the trans OR the dummy bolt. Probably the dummy bolt.

Look for teh Horizontal plig front left of pan.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

THE horizontal PLIG :D

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
To be honest, the best advice I could give, in that I don't know where exactly you are talking about is wait and get the manual. Do the channge next weekend.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
the softails oil drain is actually in the swingarm. right side near the front of the swingarm up in a recessed area. allen plug.

the trans is up between the shocks

the primary is, well.... under the primary

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's a frame support that runs between the left and right frame tubes, just to the rear of the shocks. On the right side of that you'll see a 5/8" plug. That's what you're looking for. You'll see a hose running from that plug to the oil tank in case you want to verify.

-jeff

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks y'all! I did find it! Logical you are right on the $$. thanks for steering me in the right direction. That dummy plug still has me baffled. But hey, I didn't get it out! I may still wait on the manual, just to know the exact procedure and amount of oil. But every manual I have had has always come up a little short of the full mark with thei oil recomendations.
Thanks to all who replied I appreciate it!-Rob

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey Rob , sorry man I was talking touring model. It is best to wait on the manual. It will take you through step by step and they are quite good.

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jimmy, No problem! Thanks for trying. I am going to wait on the manual. Just goes to show all Harleys ain't as alike as most people think! Thanks again-Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts