V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just put the hi-4e in my 98 dyna,cv carb. i have a mild cam[v-thunder 3020] with se heads. default setting was 5 on advance curve.bumped it up to 6 and it really came alive from 70 mph to 110,but pinged at lower rpms. so i put it back to 5 but still had some pinging.i backed off on initial timing 2 1/2 deg. in the nose cone and pinging seems to be gone,but performance wise, it feels the same as with the stock oem module. anyone experiment with the settings on your hi-4? what settings did you wind up with? can't tell any difference at idle with the multi spark on or off. i'm still running w/ S.E. dual fire ignition coil. i've heard it quite a few times to upgrade to adjustable ignition . has anyone noticed a difference with the hi-4?

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Ignition

spgtti said:
just put the hi-4e in my 98 dyna,cv carb. i have a mild cam[v-thunder 3020] with se heads. default setting was 5 on advance curve.bumped it up to 6 and it really came alive from 70 mph to 110,but pinged at lower rpms. so i put it back to 5 but still had some pinging.i backed off on initial timing 2 1/2 deg. in the nose cone and pinging seems to be gone,but performance wise, it feels the same as with the stock oem module. anyone experiment with the settings on your hi-4? what settings did you wind up with? can't tell any difference at idle with the multi spark on or off. i'm still running w/ S.E. dual fire ignition coil. i've heard it quite a few times to upgrade to adjustable ignition . has anyone noticed a difference with the hi-4?
Many times the OE ignition is fine for an upgrade like yours.
The Crane unit will allow you to spool the engine out further, as it won't shut things off like the stock unit, and you may see more up on a dyno with it, but a seat-of-the-pants increase would be hard to notice. Usually takes about 10%, in order to notice more.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the fact is i Did notice a Big difference between adv. slope 5 & 6 from 3300 rpm on up. 6 revved up much faster.i also noticed a big difference in pinging 2500 and under. there's a compromise there that that might work that can't be found with the stock ignition. i'm just asking if anyone with the same type setup has preferences.or maybe knows the pros or cons of the multi spark mode,ect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
spgtti - I have the Crane Hi-4 in a '92 FXRS, with a warmed over motor and I've noticed the same pattern re pinging at lwr r's, but good performace up top. I don't ride that bike much, but when I do, I just try not to bog it or just down shift. Maybe somebody's got a fix for this - I'll stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I'm running the Hi-4-e on a 97 bagger with an EV13 cam. I did it the same time as the cam, no noticable difference. I did notice that if you are jetted lean you ping more. I can run regular gas if I have the 48 slow jet, but need premium for the 45 slow jet. I'm set on the #6 slope. I could use a higher slope with the 48 and not ping, but with the 45 I can't. So I keep the 45 in and run premium fuel #6 setting.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Info

The statement I made earlier was from hundreds, in not thousands of hours in the dyno room.
The OE ignition works just fine if timed correctly for the said build. It will just shut things off at about 5200 rpms.
I don't know how many 80" Stage I combo's (80 hp/90ftlbs) we have in service, running the stock module and pick-up.
Can you groom the timing curve? Sure, but on a mild combo, thats not carrying a boat-load of cranking compression, a hot-rod ignition is not mandatory. Just good info.
Scott

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
The statement I made earlier was from hundreds, in not thousands of hours in the dyno room.
The OE ignition works just fine if timed correctly for the said build. It will just shut things off at about 5200 rpms.
I don't know how many 80" Stage I combo's (80 hp/90ftlbs) we have in service, running the stock module and pick-up.
Can you groom the timing curve? Sure, but on a mild combo, thats not carrying a boat-load of cranking compression, a hot-rod ignition is not mandatory. Just good info.
Scott

wish I read this sooner, about $300.00 sooner.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
You didn't state if you are running the VOES switch. If you aren't hook it up. If you can get it set for 7" of vacum, set the ignition to the stock VOES setting and that should help your pinging.
John Therrien

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
miacycles said:
You didn't state if you are running the VOES switch. If you aren't hook it up. If you can get it set for 7" of vacum, set the ignition to the stock VOES setting and that should help your pinging.
John Therrien
thanks for the tip. with premium fuel and a #6 setting there is no ping. the VOES is hooked up.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
spgtti said:
spgtti try a higher setting 7 or 8 (I think theirs 9?)with your timing backed off. Also check your VOES switch it may not be working. Under heavy throttle the VOES should retard the timing at lower to mid RPMs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts