V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning our sring vaction trip. We are going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. Any tips or special sights to see??? Will be going the 3rd week of May.:chopper:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If you've never cruised on the Blue Ridge Parkway before, your in for a treat. Taken the bike on it many times. The BRP is over 460 miles long, so there are plenty of things to see along and close to the parkway. If you take your time, just to travel the complete length up and down the BRP can take you 4 days. There's plenty of hiking and some camp sites on the parkway if your into that sort of thing.
I recommend to not ride past dawn or before dusk because of deer. Check out the BRP http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ web site for more info. Stations Inn is a biker friendly motel just off the parkway in Laurel Springs NC.
BTW, your name rocks..I have the same one as you!

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
road_king said:
If you've never cruised on the Blue Ridge Parkway before, your in for a treat. Taken the bike on it many times. The BRP is over 460 miles long, so there are plenty of things to see along and close to the parkway. If you take your time, just to travel the complete length up and down the BRP can take you 4 days. There's plenty of hiking and some camp sites on the parkway if your into that sort of thing.
I recommend to not ride past dawn or before dusk because of deer. Check out the BRP http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ web site for more info. Stations Inn is a biker friendly motel just off the parkway in Laurel Springs NC.
BTW, your name rocks..I have the same one as you!
Crabtree Falls and Peaks of Otter are both nice. Winding road goes east to Crabtree falls or you can go west to Steels Tavern. Great ride in either direction. Ride the bus up Peaks of Otter and walk the 1200 or so remaining feet for a spectacular 360 degree view. Further south there is Grandfather Mountian. Went there 2 years ago but were advised at entrance no to go up as we wouldn't be able to see anything due to clouds but I hear it is worth the time to visit, weather permitting. I will be giving it another try this coming early September.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Rode the whole thing.stopped in a town called Blowing Rock one eve and got a cool cabin with a hot tub in the lr.Very nice town.Also rode up to the top of grandfather mountain, was cool.My biggest sugestion would be to not have a schedule and cruise till you feel like stopping and get a nice room.Oh yea the peaks of otter were cool felt like we were riding up for about 40 mins.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Dan Smith said:
I am planning our sring vaction trip. We are going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. Any tips or special sights to see??? Will be going the 3rd week of May.:chopper:
I rode the BRP on my way to Biketober fest in 02. Rained all day, for three days solid. So my tip is "remember your raingear". :yes:

At the end of the BRP, you're near Deal's Gap and the Cherahola Parkway: http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Worth a visit if you have the time.

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another vote for a stop in Blowing Rock, NC. Also 2nd not riding before dawn or after dusk. Lots of deer during the day also. Speed is pretty closely checked, but a great ride. No trucks!, but lots of sightseeers

·
'PACKMAN'
240 Posts
route?

I've ridden the Blue Ridge several times. We've even started at the Shenandoah (sp) National Forest. Where do you plan to start? Are you in Illinois? Depending on the starting route, the time you've got available, and several other questions....there are many, many options. The main thing... take it easy, enjoy the sights, bring plenty of film or discs, and pack some lunches. There are many great places to pull off and enjoy some quiet time. Oh yeah, make sure the floorboards are just a bit loose...so they'll flip up as you corner...again, and again, and again!!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am n Il. Thanks for all the tips. This will my wifes 30 Ann. gift. Heck of a man ain't I. LOL We are both looking foward to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts