V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 FXDWG and would like some more omph! I would like to put in a new set of 10:1 pistons and have my heads "polished". Do I need to spend 600.00 to have he heads done ie. valves, springs and porting? I will be eventuly stepping up to a better cam. Don't know what type yet. I has a crane 3000 in it now. It has a CV carb that has been rejetted and a nice set of Vance & hinds pipes.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had the same bike, was very happy with 95" 10.5:1 and cam (can't remember which, screamin eagle, trainer) Went with 42 mikuni, that made a huge diff, tried rejeting and thunderslide and all that with the stock carb but was never happy.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
When you say "polished" are you talking ports ,chambers or both?
Never polish the hole intake port on Harley heads. In fact full polished intake ports are hardly used in all of motorsports now-n-days. They found that the vapor "clings " to the smooth finish. Fuel injection cars ect anywhere you have just air/exhaust is different.

OK so you want some good power from a nicely ported set of heads? Then thats what you need to do. 6 bills is a very good price for very good work. Carls charges nearly a grand and other well known shops get that much or more. Its realy is about what you want and what your willing to do or pay...

One other thing, you may want to check with SBC. He is the 10:1 CR king around hear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts