V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Working on a stock 1993 Evo, I have a new HD rear cylinder, it came undersize with instructions to hone to fit my new HD stock piston. Please give me details on how much to hone, how tight it should be. I recall the clearance was tight on my old Shovelhead.

I appreciate the help!

TX Hank

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
FloridaChopper said:
Hi,

Working on a stock 1993 Evo, I have a new HD rear cylinder, it came undersize with instructions to hone to fit my new HD stock piston. Please give me details on how much to hone, how tight it should be. I recall the clearance was tight on my old Shovelhead.

I appreciate the help!

TX Hank
My old brain tells me that for a cast piston the fit is from .0006 to .0016
( six to sixteen ten thousandths)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Piston Clearance

Thanks,

In practical terms it would seem to mean that I should hone the cylinder very carefully and when the piston will slide in smoothly that's enough?

TX Hank

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
FloridaChopper said:
Thanks,

In practical terms it would seem to mean that I should hone the cylinder very carefully and when the piston will slide in smoothly that's enough?

TX Hank
Cylinder MUST be in a set of TORQUE PLATES with the head gasket and base gasket installed.
Make sure the cylinder is CLEAN of any debre before sliding a piston through it .Clean with warm soapy water till the black is all off the walls. .0007 to .001 isn't something I'd want to guess on....remember a stran of your hair is about .003. If you don't have a set of inside and outside mics. I would farm the work out. One half thousands off can cause you a lot of grief in a noisy motor or one that will seize up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts