V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking delivery of a 2003 Wide Glide in December and I am doing the Stage I modifications. I am wondering about what pipes to put on it. I am sure that I want Vance and Hines pipes but was wondering what kind to get. I would like to hear from anyone that has a wide glide and hear what kind of pipes you have on the bike, how you like them, and how they sound. I am looking for good looks as well as a great sound. Any advice would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
If you want Vance and Hines, definitely wait until they start producing the Big Shots with power chamber for Dynas. A buddy of mine called them to ask when they would start production, and they said it would be spring. I think the power chamber is some sort of crossover pipe to up the horsepower and decrease exhaust reversion. The current pipes they make for Dynas don't have it. The best power comes from two-into-one pipes if you can stomach their looks on a Wide Glide. They just don't look right to me. I have Kromewerks HP+ slip-on pipes on my Wide Glide based on the recommendation of Hippo or one of the other mechanics on this sight, I can't remember who it was. I'm very happy with them for power and sound. They are not as loud as drag pipes, but have about the same decibel level as the cycle shacks and screaming eagles. The only difference is that the Kromewerks pipes have a deeper rumble, more like a big v-8 sound. The only drawback is that they are 2 1/2 inch pipes instead of 3. This makes the heat shields show a slight gap where they mate up to the slip-ons. I'm keeping these until I can get the V & H staggered bigshots with the powere chamber.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The long shots to me look great on a FXWG. I also like the long shots sound over any pipe out there for BT's. They only give modest HP gains over stock but if your into looks & sound you need take a good look at them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just picked up my bike yesterday, and I had Python III's put on. I rode for about 100 miles yesterday. I like the sound of the pipes and they look great. A deep rumble sound and they sound better as the rpm increase. I did get a pop here and here, but that may just be from breaking in the motor.... we'll see..

good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gator,

What kind of bike did you put the Python III pipes on? Was it a 2003 Wide Glide? I have heard that the Python exhausts are actually made by Vance and Hines, and I was wondering if the Python III pipes would fit my 2003 Wide Glide. I have been told that the braking system on the 2003 Wide Glide is slightly different from the earlier Wide Glide models, and this difference causes many of the Vance and Hines exhaust systems not to fit. I am wondering if the Python III would fit my bike because I have heard good things about these pipes, and I have considered them as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have V&H Straightshots on mine. They're not drag pipes as they have baffles. Sound great. But I'm not impressed with their performance. If I were to do it over (but I can't afford new pipes) I'd go with 2 into 1 systems. Hate the look but great performance. By the way, the Vance & Hines website has little sound clips of their various pipes. Sounds way cool.

·
Registered
250 Posts
red, I put the python III's on a 2003 FXDWG. So far I am very happy with them. They sound great. I haven't been able to test the performance really, still in my break in period.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
How can you test preformance when you never could get on it stock? You will be compairing apples to nothing at all. One more reason to wait till after break in to change the pipes, that is if you realy want to feel the differance pipes make. If preformance is not #1 then go for it right out of the box. One other thing no two bikes are the same in reality, some will preform better than others on the same platform (FXWG say).

·
Registered
13 Posts
dissappointed with sound

I have staggered V&H straight shots for my '00 FXDWG and am disappointed with the sound. They don't rumble much it's more tinny and high pitched. My buddy has a '01 FXDWG with the same pipes and it sounds great!!! nice low rumble!!!! so I agree no two bikes are the same.....

good luck with finding the right pipes!

·
Registered
81 Posts
i also put the straight shot staggered on my low rider and i like the way they sound but was lookin for somthing "deeper".i paid enough for em, so i'll keep em but if i had ta do it over would put on something elese.

and not ta *****, but i really wasn't too happy with the chrome and the mounting hardware, which were pretty much stock nuts and bolts.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
most people dont like the looks of the 2-1 can, but the v&h bigshot longs and staggereds have the crossover, and they perform really well on my bike. i wonder how much more performance you can get out of a 2-1 compared to a crossover?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a set of V&H Bigshots on my scoot...wish I'd have gotten something longer to hide the swingarm, but it'll be chrome soon. They do sound terrific though.

As far as power, I don't really care. I didn't buy my bike to race, otherwise I'd of bought some *** rice rocket thing for half the $$$!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up my 03 Wide Glide last Saturday and I had the dealer install Python III Quick Strike pipes on it. They are the same pipe as the V&H Big Shot Staggered pipes, and they have the hidden cross over chamber. They seem to perform very well, although I have not got the bike broken in yet, and I am trying to keep it under 55 MPH, although it's very hard to do. The sound of the pipes are deep and loud, just perfect in my opinion. I am very happy with the pipes. I also had the dealer install Kuryakyn Silver Bullet lights on the front of the bike since I could not find another set of passing lamps to fit my Wide Glide. I am very happy with these lights. They are small, about the size of the turn signals, but they are much brighter than the head light. If anyone is looking for additional lighting for the front of their Wide Glide, you may want to consider this option. I am glad that I had them put on my bike.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Redleafct2002,

How bout a pic of your scoot with the pipes on it....I am conisdering the same thing and would like to see what they look like.

thnaks,,

Dog

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dog,
I will get my daughter to take some digital pics of my bike and the pipes, and I will post them here as soon as I can. It may take a day or two, but I will be glad to do that for you.

Redleafct2002

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Thanks.....

Also a question......Are the end caps of the pipes fixed to the pipe/heat shield or can they be rotated to give a "turnout" look.

Thanks again

Dog

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi - i'd thought i'd chime in with my thoughts. My Wide Glide currently has stock pipes drilled out. I have the SE Stage I Kit too. My stock pipes sound sweet. I've set off my share of car alarms. My Dyno test resulted in 74 HP and 83 TQ.

But I don't really like the tapered stock pipe look. So this winter (yep, I'm a Minnesotan) I bought SE II Dyna Slip Fit Mufflers - Baloney Cut. I haven't installed them yet, b/c we're shoe deep in snow, but it's my top priority for spring.

I probably won't get too much more performance with the SE Slip-ons. But after i knock some baffling down i'll get back to that stock pipe drilled sound. If you're interested in how different pipes perform check out http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hplist_twin_cam.htm - it's a cool site.

Re: 2-into-1's - I know they are the best performance for your dollar, but i'm not a fan of how it looks, especially on a FXDWG. But to each his own, right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts