V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my new bike in a week or so and have been told that I will "have to " get new pipes asap because the factory pipes suck?? Too Quiet, etc....

What do you know about this and what would you recommend I replace the factory pipes with??

How much can I expect to spend on this lil adjustment after dropping $20k on a damn toy??

Also , are the warranty's worth getting? A one year add on to factory one is $499 and a 6 yr add on to factory warranty is $1299. I am really needing your heklp in decideing which way to go on the warranty. I have to at least buy the 1 yr add on to get the 8.9 % interest rate thru HD Finance.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You don't have to get anything. If you want pipes that's another story.

As far as the extended warranties most of the cost goes to profit and commisions. They are a ripoff. Never have gotten one on anything and never will.

On the other side the big bikes, the EFI ones in particular, can get real expensive to repair if you get unlucky. For someone that is new to Harleys and has to depend on dealers, these days it may be a way to cover some of the downside.

Look at it as stepping up to the crap table and rolling the dice.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I put HD screamin eagle slip ons on my Road King as I took delivery because i wanted more exhaust noise. Also, with the stage 1 re flash (I have efi) it picks up a few HP and pounds of torque. Pipes were $350 -400 or so. A couple of months later I replaced those slip ons with Basinni's for a different look.

There are a few for sale in the classifieds on this forum (including mine) which might make sense. I would have done that had I known of this forum before i got the bike.

As Hippo says, though, you don't need to do anything. I, for one, wanted something a little louder w/o pissing of the neighbors, plus the added performance. Everyone has different ideas as to what sounds best.

greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts