V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been rapping with Hippo on another thread on the tech forum. It appears that my bike has been running lean for a bit and now the headers are that light antique golden color. If and when the mix is corrected, do the pipes continue to change colors 'till they become blue/black or can the color remain the same if not be brought back to original luster? It was always odd to me that they put on heat shields; thought it was there to protect your legs. Is it just a function of time? Do all pipes just go black eventually? Has anyone ever seen pipes that stayed shiny chrome long after driven new from dealer ( w/o treatment)?

Sorry about asking a ton of questions- I really appreatiate any info given.

Don

S

·
0 Posts
IRONDON,

IF LEAN CONDITION PROBLEM WAS CORRECTED, THE PIPES WILL REMAIN THE COLOR THAT THEY TURNED TO....SOME THINGS AVAILABLE OUT THERE TO TRY TO RESTORE CHROME SHINY LOOK....ASK AROUND ON THAT.....PIPES WILL NOT EVENTUALLY TURN BLACK....GOOD LUCK...RIDE SAFE..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Spence,

I have heard about those products before. Which one(s) are the best to use that won't scratch and how much elbow grease do I have to supply?

Don

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right...

Highrider,

It comes down to what I didn't want it to. The reason I bought a new bike is so that all this would not happen. There have been other issues that have not been aired out over here, (paint chip- they stepped up on that), that are leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. I love this bike, and now feel that I am being made to pay for it. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx

Highrider,

Thanks for the great insight. It is appreciated more than I can ever express. You are right about cutting losses and just getting on with it. Hopefully, there will not be any damage done to the bike- that's my major concern. Believe me, a light going off and on every once in a while is really no big deal, but getting stranded in the middle of nowhere with my fiance is unacceptable.

I was hesitant on calling HD directly but it may come to that to get it right.

Thanx again... Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts