V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on a set of Vance and Hines Longshots and the top rear pipe is starting to turn yellow. I have removed the baffles for a cleaner air flow as suggested by my local mechanic. Any other suggestions? Would hate for these pipes to 'really' turn ugly!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey D have you changed your air filter? Do you have a EFI or carb bike ? You may need to rejet or add the Power Comander II . Just my $.02................Glide-Guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whoever told you to take out the baffles, just didn't want to be bothered! Runnung Lean and needs to have jetting adjustedor air fuel mix needs to be richenned with the baffles in!

Taking out the baffles costs you top end ! and makes idle hard to set!

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stage 1 download added

I had the stage I kit with computer download and K/N filter added...

That didnt do a thing but give me more power on the top end. I can now do 120 on the highway :)

But, my pipes are suffering...thinking about going with the Hard Kromes..they offer a one year warranty against bluing..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you Have a EFI or a Carb Bike ?

I had the same problem on my 01 Road King (FLHRI) it was a EFI bike. Once I added the Power Comander II the blueing went away and the bike ran much better. Good Luck.......Glide-Guy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a couple of clips I cut from another forum, thought you mite find them interesting...............Hawger

I've been keeping my pipes from discoloring for years with this cheap & easy method, instead of spending boucoup bucks for pipe coatings that don't meet up to their promise, just go down to your nearest hardware store & purchase 1 or 2 cans of high heat black paint, (preferably 1000 degree bar-b-cue black}, take your new pipes & coat the interior of the header section of the pipes with around 5-7 coats, let dry thoroughly & install them. I currently have a 73 shovelhead with 11,000 miles on the pipes & not a blue or brown steak in site. Just re-coat the pipes during your regular winter teardown, I know of no better way to keep the pipes looking fresh even after a lot of hard miles than this method.

Apr 17, 2000 09:17:37 P.M.

That sounds pretty good.
I have a simple method I use and I have not had any bluing or brown spots at all.
When you install your new pipes, load a BIG fistfull of wheel bearing or cup grease into the pipe up where it mounts to the head.
It will smoke like all hell for a few minutes but the soot creates a coating on the inside of the pipe and that is all you need to do.
Last set went for a few years with no discoloration.
Proper jetting and timing will help alot also. Too lean, and it gets pretty hot in there. Too much advance can cause some high heat too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Glide-Guy said:
Do you Have a EFI or a Carb Bike ?

I had the same problem on my 01 Road King (FLHRI) it was a EFI bike. Once I added the Power Comander II the blueing went away and the bike ran much better. Good Luck.......Glide-Guy
The bluing "went away"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heat shields may be the only answer over the long haul. If you leave the choke on too long a couple of times or don't constantly tune blueing is inevitable. There are liquid ceramics to treat the inside of the pipes that seem to work or go with heat shields.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The V/H have a built in heat shield. They should not be doing this. Same question as everyone else, Carb or EFI? Definately to lean with the gold color. The carb needs opened up with the A/C change made (KN) if carbed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you can hang on till 2007. A place called Nightrider will open up. A guy named steve will invent and sell a thing called I.E.D.s they will fix you rite up.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
If you can hang on till 2007. A place called Nightrider will open up. A guy named steve will invent and sell a thing called I.E.D.s they will fix you rite up.
???????????????
what is he supposed to hook them to!!
of course they will have the same result without narrow band sensors as they do with them!
making his wallet lighter.:spank:

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
Wow, anyone look at the date on this, this thread is older than Dirt.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Wow, anyone look at the date on this, this thread is older than Dirt.
yea thats why i said what is he suppost to hook them to!
no sensors in 01LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts