V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kilted Werewolf
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been very interested in custom painting/building of my own bikes and one thing I like most on bikes is a flat finish with some nice pinstriping on it. So, to help me learn to do it, what should I do? Just sit down with a pencil and doodle to get a feel for the motions, should I go and get a paint brush and screw 'round on some cardboard or something? Thanks for the advise.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
USE BRUSHES!!! stay away from the Beugler

They might have some tips on pinstripe designs at Beugler...but I wouldn't advise getting serious and investing any time & money using their tool. For doing a simple pinline down your F-150 pick up is one thing...trying to stripe your Harley tank is another. To cut to the chase...the Beugler tool has a SERRATED wheel that the paint flows on. The serrations help the wheel grab on the paint surface. Those serrations/marks can be PERMANENTELY be put in your paint....especially if it is soft or fresh. If you do a perfect job...the marks are covered by the pinstripe line. If you wipe it off...there they are. These are best used for striping wheels (old school style) or items with a defined edge to run the guide against. My advise is to go to the web.
go to www.pinstriper.com
they have a lot of resources. Pick up some brushes and some 1-Shot enamel, and an old piece of glass, say 24x36 inches and stripe away to your hearts' content. When it's dry...scrape it off with a single edge razor blade and start over. Practice...practice....practice....there is no magic bullet. When you get better...go buy an old 50's round top fridge and stripe the crap out of it. Just leave the old stripes you do and overlap them in different colors. Then when you are able to grab the pebble from my hand you will be ready to leave...Grasshopper...Oops...wrong era. Just practice and have fun...Good luck.....

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I had only seen that tool. All the pinstripe artists I've seen , including a close friend were free hand . They totally amaze me .

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Here my take on the question....

A truely good (great) pinstriper will do it entirely freehand. Pinstriping is an ART and like many arts you either have what it takes or you don't. I could go to the finest art school in the world and I will NEVER be an artist. IMO the same hold true with pinstiping. I can buy all the tools and I can spend hours, days, weeks or years practicing but I will NEVER be a GOOD pinstriper. If you have the talent you will know pretty quicky and so will everyone else.

If you want to learn pinstriping I would suggest you go watch someone that is great at pinstriping. Checkout their techniques and see what tools they use. Then go to some local shops and try to find a junk gas tank and have at it.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Yes & No...

springer- said:
Here my take on the question....

A truely good (great) pinstriper will do it entirely freehand. Pinstriping is an ART and like many arts you either have what it takes or you don't. I could go to the finest art school in the world and I will NEVER be an artist. IMO the same hold true with pinstiping. I can buy all the tools and I can spend hours, days, weeks or years practicing but I will NEVER be a GOOD pinstriper. If you have the talent you will know pretty quicky and so will everyone else.

If you want to learn pinstriping I would suggest you go watch someone that is great at pinstriping. Checkout their techniques and see what tools they use. Then go to some local shops and try to find a junk gas tank and have at it.
While I do agree with some of what you state...Yes, pinstriping is an art. Over the years i've taught a few people some airbrush & design skills. One common thread among people who say " I couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler"...is all in the attitude. If you straight up say NEVER will i be an artist...then that's true...because you commit yourself to fail before you start. Same goes with mechanical skills.While I'm not the most mechanically inclined...i'm more into the design & aesthetics of a project...but that doesn't keep me from getting my hands dirty. Some people WILL always be better that you at some things (unless you're Lance Armstrong). Some folks will take to striping quicker and with better results that the next guy. That's just life. My own striping skills have fallen off big time in the last few years, most likely due to my eyesight starting to suck (ain't it a bitch getting old...) with the advent of the computer generated graphics and the lack of practice time on my part. Point i'm trying to make is If you want it bad enough and dedicate the time & attitude...anything is possible. And Springer...I do respect your opinion.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
1bdBagr said:
While I do agree with some of what you state...Yes, pinstriping is an art. Over the years i've taught a few people some airbrush & design skills. One common thread among people who say " I couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler"...is all in the attitude. If you straight up say NEVER will i be an artist...then that's true...because you commit yourself to fail before you start. Same goes with mechanical skills.While I'm not the most mechanically inclined...i'm more into the design & aesthetics of a project...but that doesn't keep me from getting my hands dirty. Some people WILL always be better that you at some things (unless you're Lance Armstrong). Some folks will take to striping quicker and with better results that the next guy. That's just life. My own striping skills have fallen off big time in the last few years, most likely due to my eyesight starting to suck (ain't it a bitch getting old...) with the advent of the computer generated graphics and the lack of practice time on my part. Point i'm trying to make is If you want it bad enough and dedicate the time & attitude...anything is possible. And Springer...I do respect your opinion.
I hear ya .....

I can draw and I do OK at best, but it a huge challenge and last night at a local club I watched a guy crank out Charactures of everyone at the bar, on napkins, in minutes. They were amazing considering a pen and a napkin was all he had. He is an artist without trying and I will never be an artist because I don't think you can teach talent. You can teach me to draw but that is different.

I have said it before and I will say it again..... This forum has many differing opinions and experiences and it is that variety that makes it great. This is just my opinion and your milage with it may vary. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hope this attaches. Anyway learn how to pinstripe. You can get into it for not much money and its a whole lot of fun. This is a long learning curve Ive been at it for less than a year and this is my skill level as of a few months ago. Get the Wizzards basic training video a Mack series 10 or series 20 swordstriper and a couple of cans of 1 shot and practice, practice, practice. We are talking less than $100 investment and when you can outline a set of flames (which I can now do) you will get your investment money back on 1 job. My lines are still shakier than I would like them to be but they WILL get better. Pinstriping is a very cool thing to do. AL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts