V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the pinstrips on Fatboys are hand-painted or a decal? If they're hand painted, is there anyone out there making a Harley specific templete for them so I don't have to try to do them free hand or with striping tape?

Thanks,

Steven

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
stripes

they're "hand painted" in the sense that they're done with human hands, as opposed to how a pinstriper may do it with a brush. These are done with a template ( a custom made piece that lays on each side of tank to guide striping tool around) and a striping tool-not a brush. From what i understand like a Beugler or a Passche flow pencil. Make a pattern off the other side and flip it over and transfer layout. Any competent pinstriper should be able to do this.
Is it a 2 color stripe/2 stripe design? Single color / double pinline?
No. it's not a decal. I seriously doubt that theres a template for sale either, although maybe it's on the net somewhere. Re-doing both sides (a complete) or just a repair? Sorry i can't be of more help. Tim

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i have watched them paint the pin stripes on tanks at the tomahawk plant and they are done with a template.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I have the tools to do it, just been a while since I've laid some down and after talking with the dealership, it's hard to get those colors in the pinstripe. I have the maroon and silver pinstripes on a pearl white bike. I'm in this situation cause I'm switching to a deluxe rear fender so I can run a set of road king hard bags with the bagger tail setup.

The guy at the dealership suggested just taking it to a ppg shop and have them shoot it with the color gun but I want it all to really match.

Anyone know where I might could get that templete???

Thanks,

Steven

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
striping template

Don't count on that happening. The "template" is more like a fixture... a tank half sized piece that is set up for right & left sides that the pinstripe tool rides up against. For the fender HD probably has something similar. Just measure what you have now or use a deluxe to measure off of...shoot the pearl white, clear it, scuff/sand the clear, measure, layout (then double check measurements) stripe color one, let dry, stripe color two, then bury in clear....color sand & polish....done.
oh yeah...i indicated an extra clear BEFORE striping...that way any mistakes can still me wiped off & not ruin the pearl white base. Unless you do this all the time, trust me , it will work out better with this extra step.
Good luck.
Tim

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Easy way to do it would be to tape it out using 1/8" blue fineline (same tape used to draw out flames), then masking it off. You could either paint it on with an airbrush, or try using a mack striping brush. Because you would have masked it, you will get crisp edges on your lines and it will look professionally done.

I have done that in a few 2tone paint job applications, airbrushed the stripe on, and it came out great. I have pics on my website - one was a fat boy, the other was a heritage, oh and I also did a sporty tank in a kustom factory scheme...

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts