V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for the explanation between the “99” and 99a” oil pumps. My problem is the numbers are completely different from what the on-line HD parts manual list as being the correct oil pump and cam plate for my year and model. The part number stamped into the pump is 26299-99a. The parts manual calls for a 26035-99b and camplate part number is a 24255-00 and parts manual calls for a 25267-99B. I don’t know enough about Harleys to know if these parts are interchangeable or updates made over the years. I have done internet searches of all four numbers but can not find anything as far as fulfillment of the parts. Only that some are only available used on E-bay. My concern is that sometime during the lifetime of this bike is someone could not get the parts that the HD manual called for and put the parts in that are not compatible for this year and model. I once had to use the starter from a GM truck in my 75 Corvette, but in that case the part numbers where the same the only difference was the truck starter had “HD” after the part number making a “Heavy Duty” starter, which actually was able to start the Corvette easier then the one that was recommended after a engine rebuild. So I understand that sometimes parts are interchangeable. But I would have thought the first part of the number would have stayed the same and a suffix added.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Albeit may have been touched on let me make it clear. Casting numbers are not HD part numbers. That cam plate or oil pump are part of an "assembly" or parts and have assembly instructions used internally by the manufacturer. A group of parts with separate numbers = a single HD PT #
Numbers that are correct for your 04 B motor:
26035-99B Oil Pump (possibly discontinued)
25284-11 Cam Plate, Screaming Eagle full upgrade kit that includes hydra tensioners and oil pump, updated higher volume

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well that clears up a lot of doubt that I had bought a bike that someone just though in some parts just to get it sold. It was really worried when I seen all the used pumps on eBay with the same casting numbers as what I pull. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
6AE69F46-578C-4E1F-81B9-A0BA215E0060.jpeg

Got the replacement oil pump and started installing when I notices this groove in the housing under the rear cam shaft. Looks like about a 32nd deep groove from the lobe of the cam shaft. Would a scissored crank cause something like this. I am having trouble understanding what damage a scissored crank would cause. Or is this something more of the cam bearing failing. Oh the cam lobe did not have any damage, just a shiny place where the lifters roll. I think this has confirmed that someone did some repairs just to get the bike sold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Found a YouTube video that has a motor with .002 run out on the pinion shaft then shows what he called “sticky rods”, I am assuming it is another term for “crank scissor”. He went on to show the scoring on the piston cups and cylinder walls from the side load. This I understand for crank scissor damage. Just need to confirm one thing. While turning the back wheel to align the oil pump should it be an even pressure as the trans and engine turns. Spark plugs are out, push rods out, trans in high gear. I have “bump” to over come the drag. Kind of a slide hammer effect. After seeing the video I can picture in my mind the side load of the pistons causing a drag effect.

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
The "bump" your feeling could also be the stator. Pinion runout should tell you if it's scissored. Things won't be aligned anymore.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

41 - 50 of 50 Posts