V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently setting up the S&S gear drives and have found that the cankshaft has .001 run out. Not bad according to what I have seen on other Twin cams. My backlash spec's in 4 areas are .035, .025, .025, and 025. The question I have does S&S make an oversize pinion .025 to correct this excess backlash? I won't mind a little whine but don't want a knocking noise. My inner cam gears were perfect 0 lash and NO binding.
Any advise on what oversize gear to use. Thanks for your replies in advance

05RKC:)
95 KB348 PISTONS
ANDREWS 26 G CAMS
FEULING OIL PUMP AND CAMPLATE (VERY NICE)
AMS LIFTERS
ZIPPERS ADJUSTABLE PUSH RODS
HEADS PORTED AND CERMAMIC COATED
SERT
SCREAMING EAGLE PRO II SLIP ON MUFFLERS

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
ROADKING1327 said:
I am currently setting up the S&S gear drives and have found that the cankshaft has .001 run out. Not bad according to what I have seen on other Twin cams. My backlash spec's in 4 areas are .035, .025, .025, and 025. The question I have does S&S make an oversize pinion .025 to correct this excess backlash? I won't mind a little whine but don't want a knocking noise. My inner cam gears were perfect 0 lash and NO binding.
Any advise on what oversize gear to use. Thanks for your replies in advance

05RKC:)
95 KB348 PISTONS
ANDREWS 26 G CAMS
FEULING OIL PUMP AND CAMPLATE (VERY NICE)
AMS LIFTERS
ZIPPERS ADJUSTABLE PUSH RODS
HEADS PORTED AND CERMAMIC COATED
SERT
SCREAMING EAGLE PRO II SLIP ON MUFFLERS
Whine is more dangerous than slight clunking noises. Whine indicates destructive friction. Put mine back together with 0.0013 crank run out without cam plate installed which is pretty good too. Initially when cold there was a little clicking/clacking noise which went away after warm up. I suggest you'll listened to it when fully warmed up and make the call.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.