V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 'o1 Fatboy---EFI---Highflow aircleaner---screaming eagle II pipes---6,000 miles. I have been hearing a noise that started out sounding like a rock hitting metal in the engine once in a while. Then it got to be quite often. Now I think it is actually the engine pinging. It happens when it is hot and when accelerating. I have taken it into several shops and no one knows what is going on. I had someone tell me to look at the sparkplugs to see if they are white. They said if so it is running too lean and the noise is a ping. They also suggested a power commander.

The plugs are white. Does this mean it is running too lean and I need the power commander? If so how expensive is it?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
As stupid as this may sound, since the pinging did not start immediatly, and has been graudal in increase, try some gas at another gas station, the highest octane you can find, and see if this helps...

You also need to have your ECM re-programmed by Harley, that is if they have the new "fuel metering schedule" available for download, otherwise you might need to get a "Power Commander" to richen up your fuel mixture.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts