V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey forum,

need some expert advice.

I have a 2000 electraglide classic. I decided to do an upgrade following a bunch of problems with my TC88, namely several headgasket leaks. Rather than spend the money getting the decks and heads milled, I decided to do a full top end rebuild. I used S&S 95' jugs that were re-honed by my local cycle shop; for pistons, I used Screaming Eagle 95' pistons; the build was topped of with a pair of stock heads; and a relatively new CV carburator. The lower end had approximately 60,000 miles on it when I had screaming eagle 203 cams and new tensoner shoes installed on the bike.

Here is the link to the video of the noise

The motor went together very well. Most of the equipent went together fine. The only modifications that I mad was to plosh up the ports a little.

Well, I took the bike on 5700 mile treck across the US. From the beginning of the trip I got a pinningin in what appeared the fron cylinder at 60 miles per hour. It was very wll pronounced sound. Not the regular valve chatter that is uniform across all normal speeds. Throughout the tri, I adjusted the carb (enriching and leaning it out) nothing worked. It sounded like a pebble in a beer can. Sometimes it would get more pronounced on acceleration. Then at other times, The engine would ping at only 70 mph. I chased this noise for the whole trip. I actually have a video of the noise that I am going to try to post. I dont know if I can fd that here though.

I dont know what i should do. The bike is carburated. Overall it ran fine no mechanical issues at all. Plenty of accleleratoion for the whole trip. any ideas? I thought it was pre ignition frirng but I really dont know. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pinging

I fight this on my bike, what is your compression, static number if you could, also is the ignition stock, is it a stock head gasket. If you run too lean pinging can occur did you actually jet the bike up pilot and main and shim the needle. I still fight mild pinging on my bike but with the stock carb I was too lean and then I went to the mikuni which I have dialed in now and a set of colder spark plugs and the pinging sometimes is so light that you have to know what your listening for at slow speeds under 2500 rpm and heavy load. Now I run 91 octane and 100 av gas mix and no pinging. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the help.

I dont know the compression ratio. That would probably be good to know. I am trying to avoid going to Hundred Davidson with the bike. but, I used a Cometic top end gasket set. Everything is pretty much stock.(heads, ignition) I did put new plugs in after the build and used screaming eagle ignition wires. I tried 91 and 93 octane in the bike and tried to avoide the ethanol spiked gas out west.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used flat top pistons. The domed would have been a little too much power for the lower end sincce it has so many miles on it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts