V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the day I pick up the new bike is fast approaching. I’ve decided on picking it up at Jim’s HD in Yuma AZ on the 13th of March. I’ve heard some nice things about the folks there and I’ll let you all know about it. I’ll write a check at the end of the month for the total, man this’ll be a first. And a damn big check too. The job here in Nagasaki will be finished on the 6th on we’ll fly on the 7th if everything works out. I’m doing nothing here now, other then waiting to wrap it all up so we can leave and thinking about riding. Hope to see some of you on the road in the very near future and see the winter locked people soon after. :D

Dave

Jim's

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Best kept secret in the state of Arizona. They are what dealers used to be. If you decide to ride thru Phoenix to get a few miles on without a lid before returning to the PRK, I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a good offer, I'll let you know how things workout. :)
It'd be a good excuse to visit family in Mesa too.

Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, I heard the same thing about Jim's. I decided to pick the bike up there for that reason. I need to call them next week and let them know that the bike will be delivered to them. I know, from reading others posts that some dealers don't care for people JUST picking up a bike and not spending money in their shop. I hope everything goes well in spite of this.

I have found out that not every dealer will accept Military Car Sales bikes to be picked up at their shops. So I would hope if they had already agreed to this service that the pick up would go smoothly. We shall see.

Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hippo,

I appreciate that, unfortunately the salesman has informed me that there only 2 dealers authorized in AZ. Jim’s and Hacienda. I am going to stick with Jim’s. No big deal, really, what can they do, not give me the motorcycle. I paid cash for the bike and own it out right. Kind of hard to fight against that. Thanks again for the offer.

What do you think tax, tags, and title will be in AZ for a $20,000 purchase? Jeez, that’s a lot of money. I better stop writing that down or I’m gonna get cold feet and pull out of the deal. :)

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
If one of yall don't mind, could you explain to me about picking up a bike at any dealer? Who did you purchase the bike from? How do you decide where to pick it up at? I was just reading the post and was curious about what was going on. :confused: Im always interested in something different.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bigtime,

I’m buying the bike from the base in Sasebo, Japan. That’s why I have to pick a dealer. The base has an agreement with a company called Military Car Sales, based in NY, that sells American cars to service/SOFA status members. Harleys too. I can buy an HD at MSRP and have it delivered anywhere in the states. Well…almost anywhere, California bikes a rare through the overseas dealer, so I, for instance, have to buy a bike and register it in AZ. My mother lives in AZ, that’s why I picked a dealer in that state and Jim’s HD is in Yuma which is close to CA.

:cool:

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks Dave, That is quite interesting. Im glad that there are services like that for members of the Armed Forces. I hope you have a lot of happy days riding.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sales tax around here is between 7 and 8% but varies from city to city and county to county, and Yuma should be in the ballpark. Tags and the title were $310.00 for the Glide, so add a few bucks for the Ultra.

I'm not familiar with military sales, but there has got to be a way around the sales tax. If you already paid for the bike to the military sales co. I would try to get the bike and the MSO as opposed to have the dealer register it and just get a temporary permit for 5 bucks. Then I would go to some little backwater DMV office near one of the AF bases and show them the military invoice and the MSO and play stupid. These people are not very bright. Worst thing that can happen is you pay the tax anyway, but I have registered bikes here purchased in MT and they never charged me the tax even though they only were a couple of months old.

The hard part might be the dealer but I would tell him I had the bike shipped here because I did not know where I was going to be next and therefore have no idea where I would register it.

Anywhere but Hacienda, they are something else. LOL

See this is not pulling a fast one, I honestly think that there is some question on wether a military sales bike purchased in Japan should pay sales tax in AZ. Might want to ask a financial guy, I'll ask my guy when I see him.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I bought my bike from Military car sales in Germany, rode it there for three years then transfered to CA. I didn't pay any sales tax in CA, I stupidly even asked them. I believe it's because I'm a CA resident. If you register in CA, be sure to fill out a "Statement of Facts" (don't now form #) which states you live in CA because the military sent you there but you are a resident of another state. Just tell them you are stationed at one of the CA bases, but they won't ask. I'm sure AZ has asimilar aggreement with the mil. but if you're a resident of that state, you may be out of luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t think I can get by without paying the sales tax, here’s why. The bike never leaves the U.S., it’s sitting in some HD warehouse waiting to be bought. When someone buys the bike they send it to the dealer that the buyer has specified. The company that sells the motorcycle is not the military, it’s a private company with a contract with the military. They are just providing a service. I get a receipt for the check that I wrote for the bike, I never get an invoice. That’s the part I don’t like. After I pick up the motorcycle I will explain that a little more thoroughly.

95 FXST, I’m outta luck!

Dave

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Heres a suggestion

I have purchased vehicles out of state before while on Active Duty. I have never paid sales tax in the state that I purchased the vehicle in.

Reason being is I always told the salesman/dealership that I am active duty military (and showed them my id card) and told them that I will be registering the vehicle in my home of residence. AND this is where I will pay all of my sales/excise tax. Let them know that the state you register it in will AUTOMATICALLY add all that into your fees.

THEN, contact the great state of Oregon DMV and register your vehicle there. You will end up paying only $40 for 3 years worth of tag on your vehicle. THERE ARE NO OTHER FEES ASSOCIATED WITH REGISTRATION. A check for $40 and your manufactures certificate of origin will get you a title. They dont even require you have a Oregon address! Just need to let them know that you are active duty military and Oregon is your home of record.

If you have a guilty notion about it, go to your personnel actions and change your home of record to Oregon and your covered! :)

Oregon DMV is on the net for your convienence.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
True, but I was under the perhaps wrong impression UHC was some sort of civilian under contract to the military, and this would make a difference.

In this case I suppose it depends on wether the military sales co is actually executing the sale or just acting as a broker with the local dealer executing the sale. This is what my financial advisor thinks, and he is a AZ boy.

The bike could still be shipped to OR where there is no sales tax and the fees are very low, but they have started checking into residence status for civilians and if the vehicle is titled in your name rather then in a corporations name the DL would have to match. Still only takes about 30 minutes to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hippo’s right, civilian on military contract. So there’s no way around that. I called Jim’s today and talked to a rep there and asked what the licensing fees were and how much money they would require. He said that they didn’t take care of any of that, they receive the bike, prep it, wait for me to pick it up and ride it off. He said registration is all on me. So, I guess I ride off to the DMV in Yuma and register it there. Maybe this used to be different and this is a way of insuring taxes get paid, I don’t have a clue. The high point to all this was that Jim’s rep was very cool about everything, said that they do this all the time, no problem. Asked for an off the top of your head quote for Stage 1 Big bore kit w/ Hooker tunable pipes, installation included, said it was around $1700. What do you guys think? Good? Bad?

Dave

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well, if I were you, I would look at it as good news.
What you do is up to you, but here is what i would do.
Since they expect you to ride off into the sunshine, they have to give you (or sell you) some sort of temporary permit, as a dealer can hardly tell you to break the law and operate a motor vehicle without a permit regardless for how long.
Instead of registering the bike in Yuma, ride it to Mesa where your family lives and whose adress you will use to register it here, preferrably at the DMV in Apache Junction. Yuma is very close to the border and they likely are much more alert to technical maneuvers then the people here.
When you present the MSO to the DMV and they ask you where you purchased the bike you tell them the truth, thru military sales in Japan, and if they ask you where you picked it up you tell them the truth again, in Yuma because military sales decided to ship it there.
And then kick back and see what they do.

I would imagine you have taken care of this, but get the serial number well in advance and contact your insurance co so as to have valid insurance from the minute the bike is rolled out of the showroom. You will also need proof of insurance at the time you register the bike.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Ride the bike stock. When you get where the bike really will be, and if you want a dealer to do it, have them do it. Dealers generally put you on the backburner, to say the least, when it comes to doing warranty work on bikes they have not sold. If you spend the bucks with them your chances might improve some, and you can make sure they will not deny warranty over a set of aftermarket pipes.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
UltraHeadCase said:

<snip>

Asked for an off the top of your head quote for Stage 1 Big bore kit w/ Hooker tunable pipes, installation included, said it was around $1700. What do you guys think? Good? Bad?

Dave
You may want to check around on that price. Seems a bit high, but I'm not up to speed on the price of the Hooker pipes. It's a lot more than I paid and more than the prices advertised in this month's Thunder Press (a West Coast biker news/magazine). Why don't ya' break in the bike and give yourself some time to check around on the Big Bore kit. You may save some money that way.

Pipes are very personal choices. However, keep slip-ons in mind when you select your touring exhaust.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hippo,
That sounds like a good idea, I’ll pick it up on Wednesday and register it on Thursday after my long slow ride to Mesa.

Jim/Hippo,
Emailed them today to ask for hard numbers on the mod and pipes. Once I get them, I’ll run the numbers by my business manager/wife and see if I can convince her that I have just GOT to have this. LOL

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts