V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something that's been bugging me for a while: people have said that if you can't set up the bike you're riding after it's gone over on its side, you've got no business riding it.

Right now, the bike I have weighs about 460 pounds, and I've picked it up with no small effort. It didn't feel good, but you have to do what you have to do.

The weights I've seen on the Harleys I'd like to get are in excess of 700 pounds. I'm not out of shape, but I don't weightlift and I'm not built like a pallet loader. (The one guy I know who picked up his Road King after it went out from under him IS built like a forklift.)

Ever given much thought to picking up your rig without help? Should I hit the gym now, stick with squid bikes, or not worry about it?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

If your bike goes down, stand facing 'away' from it, your heels at the seat.
Bend your knees, grab 'whichever' end of the handlbar with one hand and the frame under the seat with the other hand.
The trick is to use your legs and PUSH the scoot back on it 'feet'.
And I'm 140lbs!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It's not how strong you are it's how you leverage yourself. These bikes have a low center of gravity so you have to make yours even lower. Dont stand up bend over and expect to be able to pick it back up. Unless, of course, you have no problem with walking around with your balls dragging on the pavement afterward.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
It's all about leverage. Thats why I run apes on the Springer. Just in case. :D HH is right. You need to use your legs.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
And adrenalin!:D See how it works when ya drop it in front of yer buddies!:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well - I am a little one (128 lb, 5'2") and have an 883 Sportster (I know that this is also a much smaller bike than you are talking about)- I actually dropped it yesterday in my back yard trying to back up. I was so proud because I picked it up all by myself (had to - there was no one else around) I suppose the adreneline was pumping because I was about to freak seeing my bike on the ground. I had tried to pick it up in the past - just messing around - seeing if I could do it - and could not do it alone. I was also taught to use your legs, not your back. Also to get up under the bike near the seat and PUSH is up - not lift. But when the time came - I was able to do it. So do not worry - I would say that you would be able to if the need arose. Hope that helped.....

·
Registered
560 Posts
"Unless, of course, you have no problem with walking around with your balls dragging on the pavement afterward."

Now that made me laugh!!!!!

King

·
Registered
254 Posts
fourhour said:
And adrenalin!:D See how it works when ya drop it in front of yer buddies!:D
I know you didn't think I forgot about that:D . The trick is to put the kickstand down before you get off!!!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Watched my wife pick up her Low Rider (I am ashamed to say) four times in one day. She had about 200 miles on a bike under her belt and felt she could handle the FXDL no problem.
She was wrong.
Of course, since then, it hasn't gone down once. And she can ride better than most men I know. But that day ...<<shudder>>
BTW- she was always stopped. Never hurt herself and didn't hurt the bike except to snap off the brake lever.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Rocko said:
I know you didn't think I forgot about that:D . The trick is to put the kickstand down before you get off!!!!!
Hmmm, Some people can't let sleeping dogs lie!:D Fucker!;) :p :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
The pics are great, they show how to pick a bike up and it works...just dont keep going when you get it up and let it fall the other way. Hahah I have seen that before. Nothing like laying on a hot engine and pipes.
I have gone down 2 times before. Both times my adrenaline was pumping so hard I think I yanked the bike up by the handlebars. That adrenaline is can do some funny stuff.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I picked up my Heritage the 1 and only time(so far) it slid out from under me.. and it was tough.. but I think the engine guards helped out alot.cause it wasn't all the way laid over... .plus they prevented any damage.. to my scoot...!! what a sight to see my baby laid out in the yard like that... it wasn't pretty.!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You all are great help and thanks. I'd never seen the back-turned way...makes the most sense now.

BJG, I don't want to do that either, I'd have to change my seating arrangements:eek: .

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yeah...the pics show it correctly....it works for nearly any motorcycle and you can do it on either side....if it's on it's right side.........try and hold a grip so you don't push it on it's left side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.