V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a little distorted but I would like to get opinions on this timing slope. My build is below. Appreciate any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
LAF said:
Actually, yes I am thinking it is.

What do you see?
Looks real lazy down low...low map ..light load numbers look too late.
I would think you could get more aggressive a lot sooner . Say 20 degrees by 1500 at both 20-30 map. 25 degrees at 1750 for both 20-30. maybe 28 by 2000 rpms. With good fuel under light load I bet 30 degrees by 2500. It would run cooler and fuel mileage should pick up...even though the increased advance will tend to lean the motor and reqiure more fuel. it will be more efficient. Did it suffer from roll on pinging ? Looks like some of the numbers in a couple of maps from HDmaps I have seen.
would be interested in the curves 30-100 map. We actually need the VE tables also to look at the "picture"
This thing is beggin for a 3.37 gear.

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SYCLONE said:
Looks real lazy down low...low map ..light load numbers look too late.
I would think you could get more aggressive a lot sooner . Say 20 degrees by 1500 at both 20-30 map. 25 degrees at 1750 for both 20-30. maybe 28 by 2000 rpms. With good fuel under light load I bet 30 degrees by 2500. It would run cooler and fuel mileage should pick up...even though the increased advance will tend to lean the motor and reqiure more fuel. it will be more efficient. Did it suffer from roll on pinging ? Looks like some of the numbers in a couple of maps from HDmaps I have seen.
would be interested in the curves 30-100 map. We actually need the VE tables also to look at the "picture"
This thing is beggin for a 3.37 gear.
And VE is?

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Man, this is exactly why I love the VTF. You don't granular understanding at this depth visiting your local dealership. You'all rock. Not knowing squat about this, I thought the peak seemed early.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
LAF said:
And VE is?
Volumetric Efficiency.

It's the description of each cylinders ability to breathe in a optimum amount of fuel/air based on the intake, port flow, valve size, exhaust port, pipe tune length, volume. VE is expressed in terms of percentage and is based on engine displacement.

When you change ignition timing, you have to adjust VE in each cylinder to get the combustion process back in balance.

Generally speaking, if you only adjust ign timing and leave VE alone, retarding the timing will fatten up the AFR, advancing the timing will lean it out and hence require adding more fuel to make proper AFR.

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I can provide a VE sheet. This is a TCFI so I am sure there is a table that correlates to VE but I don't know what it is. Are you familiar with this? I don't think you need to be to help, I just need to get you information that you need to see.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
LAF said:
I don't think I can provide a VE sheet. This is a TCFI so I am sure there is a table that correlates to VE but I don't know what it is. Are you familiar with this? I don't think you need to be to help, I just need to get you information that you need to see.
Never touched a TCFI...always the SERT . sorry I cant help on this one. Maybe it's with the a/f ratio target maps.
It would be a Super arm jerker with a 3.37 GEAR. Lets you be more aggressive with the curve too...less down shifting...better riding 2 up. It's on the stand now cause of the lifter thing..pull that primary!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts