V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here it is. Got it on Wednesday, cold didn't stop me had to ride it! Did 100 miles on Thursday, back was killing me all weekend. Guess all my riding in the summer on the *** bike didn't prepare me! Maybe cause of the different way I sit on the RK? Happier than a pig in ****, waited 30 years for my first Harley. Thanks to the forum learned a lot before buying it.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Congrats, nice bike. When I went from my Ultra to my Road glide my back bothered me at first. I have done 1000 mile days since then with no problems. You'll get used to it. Might try moving handlebars around some, and I changed my seat, it helped.. Good luck and enjoy, you've waited long enough.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Congrats ctharley, no wipe that grin off your face................nah, I know it's there permanently!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congratulations!

I'll be picking mine up in the next couple of weeks. I bought the exact bike but i'm now waiting for a number of options to arrive and get installed before I pick her up.

The one thing I knew I had to change immediately were the handlebars. There is no way I could ride with the stock ones as I would also end up with a sore back and, especially, stiff/sore shoulders. I'm 5'10" but the reach to the stock bars is ridiculous. That may be your problem too and it sounds like you got in a long enough ride to assess your needs.

What are your comments on the new ride? Smooth? Comfortable (except for the sore back)?

Thanks,

-Jeffrey Crumpacker
Portland OR
2001 Yamaha 1100 VStar Classic
2003 HD Road King Classic (to be picked up soon!)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hay.... your bike looks just like mine.... I just picked up my new 03 Roadking Classic this past Saturday! Congradulations.... So since most buyers are selectin the Aniv colors (thousands being sold) I got the Purple "Splash" radical paint set.... I love it.... wife... well lets say she's not as radical as me.. At least it will be easy to find in a crowded parking lot full of Aniv colors........ Road King's are the #1 Choice of Road King owners....

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
SWEET BIKE!! YOU ARE GONNA LOVE THE RIDE WHEN YOU GET IT FITTED TO YOU AND YOUR RIDING STYLE. YOU KNOW THEY DONT STAY STOCK FOR LONG.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey! That's my bike! Congrats CT!! Try adjusting the bars before you invest in a new seat - might do the trick (how tall are you?).
I have to wait until the Spring for mine to come in - I'm jealous.
Have fun
BigG

·
Registered
201 Posts
One word.... S A H W E E T !!!!!! Great looking bike! Congrats....too bad you had to wait 30 years...you got LOTS of ridin' to do!!

T-Bone

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm only 5' 8" (they said for years that was the "average" male height, if that's true why am I always looking up at people?). While I'm riding (took it out again today) it feels very comfortable, although I am stretched out to reach the bars. Thanks for all the tips, think I will play with the bars a little, going to get a solo seat, maybe a Mustang.

Already had vance and hines slash cut slip (my wife cut those out of the pic) ons and stage 1 chip before delivery and have just about every other page in the Harley wish book marked for future purchases.

I think the ride is awesome, better than any of the *** bikes I've owned, much better than the old sporties I've riden too, handles like a dream.
Can't wait for break in to be over, want to hear what those mufflers sound like with some serious throttle.

Idles a lot rougher than I remember the demo bike I rode, but 45% jugs are said to be the poorest design for smooth performance. If I wanted that I would have bought another *** bike!:)

Happy Holidays to all!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Great looking bike. As you will find with time, black road kings are faster and and stop better.

If you do some searches on this forum, there are a number of threads re: stock road king bars. Lots of owners (me included) find the stock bars are too far fwd. The correct (for you) bars, , maybe a different seat, plus riding time will result in EASY 5-600 mile days. Road kings were made for this! Have fun.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice bike! I've had two different HD dealers tell me that the first and most popular addition to the RKs are handlebars from the Heritage Softail. Apparently the slight pullback and twist of the bar gets rid of the slight lean forward on the RK, and makes for a more comfortable ride. Cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Congrats on your new bike, I like the look of the road king. Why are you grinning so much? Every time I ride my bike I get that same look on my face sometime during the ride, or even just going out to the garage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice scooter!!!! Got a Gold Wing now, but my '03 Ultra Classic (Black and Silver) is due in 01/17/03. I CAN'T FREAKIN' WAIT!!!!

Mike

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Congrats on the new bike ctharley :cool: I hope my smile is as big as your's when I get mine this month :cool: You should be very proud, as I'm sure you are :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nice looking ride. Picked up mine in Nov. Same as yours except in Gunmetal. That smile must be contageous!!! Can't get rid of mine either, and don't want to!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is great guys, but only got 100 miles on it before the weather went to shi*. Now I just go in the garage and shine it. Probably have all the paint and chrome worn of it by spring. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts