V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Twin Fan
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 Night Train. It is currently running a Pro Pipe HS, K&N S/E filter with a Dynojet in kit the stock CV. Stock everything else.

I ride one-up, 180lb. rider, Mid-Atlantic states, year round (dry weather primarily), mix between stop and go traffic of metro D.C. and Blue Ridge mountain runs.

Don't care about top end HP or WOT bursts. Love torque, low end, and useable cruising power. I love the enhancement to the power band the V&H PP did for me replacing 2 1/4" drag pipes and would like more of it.

The eventuality will be a 95" hop up of some flavor.

I *think* I like the power band numbers the TW37 yields.

The question is if I can do this in phases.

Can I do the gear-drive upgrade with 37G camset along with a Baisley thereby covering the bottom end and doing the heads and cylinders later?

I know common wisdom is to do it all at once but that is not in the cards for me at this time. I want to dump that cam chain tensioner bugger and thought I could do the switch to gear drive now with better cams.

Will the 37G be "OK" (if not ideal) until big bore time?

I don't want to get interim cams only to swap them out later.

If the 37 is a dog with an otherwise stock motor I have to figure out something else or not do anything at all for now.

Thanks,
Bret

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
From the Andrews Chart 37G - "Hot street cams for 88 or 95 inches. 80+ rear wheel HP possible with well tuned 88 motor; more with 95. Smooth idle, broad torque (2200-5600 RPM). Stock to 9.5 CR."

·
Twin Fan
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have seen that. But as I have found...real world experience from this board is sometimes as/more valuable than manufacturer data.

I appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
142 Posts
slo100, I did exactly what you described. I installed 37G's in my WG because of reliability concerns with the tensioners. At the time the bike was all stock with only a stage 1 done. I ran the bike that way for one season. It ran OK but was a little sluggish in the lower RPM ranges. I recently went to 95" with headwork and other goodies. Compression is now 9.8 and the bike runs awesome. I think you might be happy with cams only, but only if you plan on more bore, compression etc. in the future would I go with the 37's. Hope this helps. :cheers:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yup, and if you can get it done all at the same time, it'll be like night and day. The big-grin factor.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts