V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there i am new to this forum and asking questions already ... i have a 1999 evo heritage and i want to put a one piece twin cam petrol tank on i am competant at working at vechicles and wiring (properly)the thing i am struggling with is should or do i have to rubber mount tank ..the old tanks where rubber mounted and i no the twin cams have rubber mounted engines so they are smoother and the tank was bolted to the frame surley the metal in the tanks is better now than in 1999 any info would be greatfully appreciated

·
Registered
810 Posts
the tank on my streetglide is bolted to the metal frame ( aft ), and has very thin rubber sleeves at the forward points. Not enough in my opinion to say it's 'rubber mounted'. I would feel fine with just bolting it. I think the rubber used in my case is just to protect the paint.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Hmmm 1999 they made Evos and TwinCams, the Heritage (softail) TwinCam motor is a "B" motor, not rubber mounted. So I guess what you are asking is if the vibration from the evo motor will fatigue a 1 piece non-rubber mounted Twin Cam tank?

I had a 1971 ironhead that the tank was bolted to the frame, and that bike shook more than any Evo.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I think that would require quite alot of modification and may not be worth it. The EVO's have mounting brackets on top and bottom of the front of the tank...the one piece are lower....not sure if there was a frame modification too between the 00+ and the 99-

I have seen an adapter piece that would allow you to run split tanks on a 00+ model...so it could be doable...or maybe it only works in the reverse....

Not sure if your dash would mount up the same way either...and if you were to try it out, you'd need to be sure you got a tank for carb models...not the one with the hole for fuel pump on top....

Have you looked at any aftermarket sources?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The Twin Cams did come out in 99, but not for softails.. .that was 2000.

The frames changed quite a bit for that as well (Evo to TC), especially how in the area of the gas tank. With the Evo, there were lots of electronics between those tank halves, such as the turn signal module that moved to near the rear wheel with a TC. The way the tanks mount is VERY different as well.

You would have to be quite the fabricator to make it work, to the tune of doing some cuttinng/welding even.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts