V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What went wrong, I don't know, LOL. Here's what went down with my small problem. All I did was take the old (leaking) shutoff valve off and replace it with a new one from the dealer and fired up the bike for a few moments until it stopped dew to the fact I had it on Fuel or On and what little gas was in it it stopped. I realized it wasn't on the Reserve setting so naturally it stopped (I get that). I didn't think anything about that and put in the rest of the gas I took out to do the job and re tried to start it up and got two almost starts but that was it and ran the battery down. W T F went wrong all I get is it just keeps Cranking over and over but wont start up. I am waiting for the battery to charge and will go back to the drawing board but IF I COULD GET SOME IDEAS TO WHAT WENT WRONG OR WHERE TO START LOOKING OR TOO AS WHERE TO START DISSECTING IT would be much appreciative.

Thanks, MJ

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
You could start by disconnecting the hose from the carb and put a small container under it. Then open the petcock and see which positions have gas flow. Also check for a kink in the line.

I'm just here for the beer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Did you reconnect the vacuum line that operates the petcock? Sounds like you are talking a straight OEM replacement. Stockers are vacuum operated. Also, check that line for leaks (vacuum, not fuel). Any stock carbed bike would be old enough so that little line could be kaput. Not that it matters in this case, but it would be helpful to know something about the bike. Like year and model. Maybe miles and any known mod history. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you reconnect the vacuum line that operates the petcock? Sounds like you are talking a straight OEM replacement. Stockers are vacuum operated. Also, check that line for leaks (vacuum, not fuel). Any stock carbed bike would be old enough so that little line could be kaput. Not that it matters in this case, but it would be helpful to know something about the bike. Like year and model. Maybe miles and any known mod history. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
I never saw a vac line connected but will look for one hanging around doing nothing. Yes OEM replacement.
Oops Sorry forgot to mention its a 02 Dyna SG FXD, just under 70k.
Mods are,
Vance & Hines LongShots
SE Street Ignition
K&N Air Filter kit
CV Jet Kit (carb)
Inside Cam Chest, all Feuling Parts, $2606.00 (ouch)
Cam Support Plate
4 Gear Cam Drive Set
Gear Drive Cams
Adj Push Rods
Tappet Set
Oil Pump
Pinon Gear under size
Using all Spectro Synthetic Blend fluids

·
Registered
413 Posts
Try This

Ronnie's is a good place to look at the parts book for your bike if you don't have your own and can't get to the dealership (or don't want to go). Even highly modified bikes sometimes use some stock parts.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=409&b=45&c=0&d=2002 FXD SUPER GLIDE® (GH) FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY

Here's a link to the pertinent page for your bike. #12 goes from petcock to the intake manifold or carb. Should be easy to figure out if that is your problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ronnie's is a good place to look at the parts book for your bike if you don't have your own and can't get to the dealership (or don't want to go). Even highly modified bikes sometimes use some stock parts.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=409&b=45&c=0&d=2002 FXD SUPER GLIDE® (GH) FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY

Here's a link to the pertinent page for your bike. #12 goes from petcock to the intake manifold or carb. Should be easy to figure out if that is your problem.
Thanks for the link, my genuine HD Service Manual doesnt show squat nothing like your link did.
I'll go out and look for that vac hose in a bit, but like I said before I didnt notice any hose there when taking the pit cock off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rootintootin, I did use the Ronnies link and also looked at the Carb assembly pic & didnt find where any vac line comes into or out at ether the carb or intake.
Yes there is a vac line tube coming out of the pit cock top just like the link #12 shows you gave me. But like mentioned before I didnt see any vac line/tube there in the first place, Whats next buddy?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
49erman, get yourself a H-D parts manual too. I really needed both.
Have you checked for spark also?
I would try what Alan S. said too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
49erman, get yourself a H-D parts manual too. I really needed both.
Have you checked for spark also?
I would try what Alan S. said too.
Well when the pit cock got installed I fired it right up but forgot that the valve lever was on full not reserve position so it soon ran out of gas and stopped, at that point I put the rest of the gas that was taken out in the first place back in and tried to fire it up again but all it does is run the battery down. Got me stumped as it was running just fine before the pit cock replacement. That Vacuum Line thing is getting to me as I cant find where a vacuum port coming from ether the Carb or the Intake, scratch head and scratch head again???

As for disconnecting the fuel line and see what comes out of the valve when turning it to each on position haven't did that yet since it did fire right up after the valve was installed, scratch head and scratch head again???

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Most likely, the petcock valve you replaced was bad. It was probably not shutting off when the motor shut off. Now that you've installed one that is working properly you'll have to install that vacuum line.

I wouldn't worry about the spark at this time since there is no vacuum line. But you can run some simple tests. Pull the fuel line from the carb and test for flow on both "on" and "reserve" positions. If you have no flow, put a vacuum line on the petcock and suck on it. That should release fuel. And, if you don't want to remove the fuel line from the carb, just put the vacuum line on the petcock valve and suck on it for a few seconds. It'll fill the bowl and will probably start right up.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
even tho it fired after the new install it ran off the gas already in the carb.
Your 02 will have a vacuum petcock unless someone had already switched it out look at the old one and see if it has the same connections as your new one , if it had been swapped before you will need to get the vacuum line put back on for your factory petcock or purchase an aftermarket one with no vacuum activation

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most likely, the petcock valve you replaced was bad. It was probably not shutting off when the motor shut off. Now that you've installed one that is working properly you'll have to install that vacuum line.

I wouldn't worry about the spark at this time since there is no vacuum line. But you can run some simple tests. Pull the fuel line from the carb and test for flow on both "on" and "reserve" positions. If you have no flow, put a vacuum line on the petcock and suck on it. That should release fuel. And, if you don't want to remove the fuel line from the carb, just put the vacuum line on the petcock valve and suck on it for a few seconds. It'll fill the bowl and will probably start right up.
First of all the only reason it was changed was the brass line going into it for the fuel line was loose and leaked gas out Once but other that that was working good as it should.
Second of all I never seen a vac line on it at all and cant find one coming from the carb or intake anywhere, that's what bothers me the most it does have a vac line outlet coming off of it but can't find where it goes to.
I'll do the fuel line flow test tomorrow since its blowing like he!! now 45+mph. No room in my garage at the moment at all packed with moving stuff. What was taken off was OEM and what was put on new is also OEM.
Will get back with results tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
even tho it fired after the new install it ran off the gas already in the carb.
Your 02 will have a vacuum petcock unless someone had already switched it out look at the old one and see if it has the same connections as your new one , if it had been swapped before you will need to get the vacuum line put back on for your factory petcock or purchase an aftermarket one with no vacuum activation
Every body that has responded back with a solution or a test this or try that is all good but I DON'T SEE ANY WHERE TO CONNECT THE VAC LINE FROM THE PIT COCK TO THE CARB OR EVEN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. In one of the before post was suggested looking at a link (Ronnies) I did so and yes I did see a vac hose #12 coming from the pit cock but that site/link didn't show me as to where the OTHER end of it goes carb or intake, others had said it would go to ether the carb or intake manifold. I get that.

The bike ran great as always before the changing of the pit cock so this vac line deal some are talking about does spark my interest and yes I can see what they are saying of the vac line system deal but I need more Hard Facts about the vac line coming from the pit cock going to ????????where. I dont see a Provision for a vac line at the carb of the intake manifold.

See picture above for reference of pit cock

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If the old petcock had a vacuum port on it and it was working without the vacuum line hooked to it, it was defective.

You could easily test the one using the same technique. Doesn't have to be on the bike. If you can blow through it, it's been modified.

I don't know if you're the original owner or not, but it could be that once it failed, they sealed it and removed the diaphragm. There are threads on how to convert the vacuum valve to non vacuum. I can't help with the location of the line. It may have been removed. If that's the case, go get a Tee, cut an existing line and install one.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
If the old petcock had a vacuum port on it and it was working without the vacuum line hooked to it, it was defective.

You could easily test the one using the same technique. Doesn't have to be on the bike. If you can blow through it, it's been modified.

I don't know if you're the original owner or not, but it could be that once it failed, they sealed it and removed the diaphragm. There are threads on how to convert the vacuum valve to non vacuum. I can't help with the location of the line. It may have been removed. If that's the case, go get a Tee, cut an existing line and install one.
On my 2003 piglet, I cut off the plug and reassembled. Worked great.

I'm just here for the beer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

As I said before only reason the pit cock was replaced was the brass supply line coming out of it was loose and a few drops of gas came out.
I did blow air into & sucked air out and Nothing both ways, (pit cock good)(brass line loose only).
I am the Original owner of the bike and all most from day one the Calif. (EEA) Emissions Canister Asm. has been taken off, I wasn't the one doing that took all of it off so I cant say one of the Emissions lines had something to do with that.
"Cut into an existing vac line"? Where? there isnt one to cut into.

I apologize that if needed about the EEA Evac Canister system being gone and it might have had a line going to the pit cock I just forgot about having that done (17 yrs ago) that's a lot of time gone by. Maybe we are getting somewhere now as for the missing Emissions stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I would have to agree with post #11...the bike ran till the gas in the bowl was used up.

Also have to agree with those who say take the fuel line off the PETCOCK and see if gas comes out with and without vacuum. If it's a brand new , stock, PETCOCK in working condition, you won't get gas until vacuum is applied, period.

There is most likely a small rubber boot (1/8-1/4 inch) on the back of the carb or manifold that you might not be able to see. If you can find it, that is where your vacuum line goes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I would have to agree with post #11...the bike ran till the gas in the bowl was used up.

Also have to agree with those who say take the fuel line off the PETCOCK and see if gas comes out with and without vacuum. If it's a brand new , stock, PETCOCK in working condition, you won't get gas until vacuum is applied, period.

There is most likely a small rubber boot (1/8-1/4 inch) on the back of the carb or manifold that you might not be able to see. If you can find it, that is where your vacuum line goes.
ding ding ding, give the man a cigar! Yes some others had gave good advice and some missed that this bike in order to get gas from the tank/pit cock it needs vacuum for that. I also understand the vac pit cock deal its just for the past 17 yrs the bike hasn't had the EEA Emissions Canister on it along with what ever hoses & vac lines to its system and my bike ran just fine.

I has been pretty windy (45+) mph guest even more (65+) and dusty also to add fuel to the fire/wind so I'll just have to wait till I can pull it out of the Over Stuff Garage do to the Moving deal, No room at all for work space. I'll Look even more closely to find the entrance port at the Carb or Manifold for a plug.

Like I said before the bike has been running just fine for 17 yrs now and for the fact that when replacing the pit cock there ""wasn't any vac line on the pit cock"" and not even plugged off. THAT'S THE CONFUSING PART OF THIS HOLE DEAL.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,645 Posts
Pit cocks:

Petcock:

Vacuum port:

You're making this way too hard. :dunno:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pit cocks:

Petcock:

Vacuum port:

You're making this way too hard. :dunno:
I see now how you got your 11,920 post by correcting other peoples spelling, and I want to thank you for that I might have gone on for ever spelling it wrong.

And yes your pic of a "petcock" is correct but that's Not Even Close To What My Carb Looks Like, I guess just picking one out of thin air was the best you could do, ding ding ding No cigar for you...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts