V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group,

Single digits here in NY today. God, I miss riding. I have yet to add the Sta-Bil to the gas. Here's a qiestion....a few guys I know do not use any fuel additive and start the bike every coupla weeks throughout the winter. Others tell me that this is a bad practice, as short duration of running the motor in cold conditions may promote formation of condensation and cause problems. What do you guys think? I'll probably do both: treat the gas AND start her up every now and then. Please comment. Happy Holidays!!

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Nothing like hearing a V-twin run, but I would put in the Sta-Bil and plug in the battery tender and leave her alone. Periodic starting will lead to condensation in the oil which is not a good thing.
If it is a heated garage, probably not as big a deal since the humidity will be lower and the temperature difference not as great but I would still not do it to my bikes.
If it going to set for more than 3 months, I would also fog the cylinders.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I have been told the periodic starting is a bad idea unless you are really gonna ride it and get it all the way up to full operating temp. I treated my gas for the first time last year with sat-bil, bike ran like crap for the first couple of tankfuls in the spring, I won't use it again this year.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
How long is it OK to let the bike sit? Even in winter here in VA we get days warm enough to ride. Sometimes its maybe 3 weeks. Is the sta-bil the way to go. Or can I get by with just the battery tender?

jjl

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Sta-bil, battery tender and no periodic starting. Sta-bil is very cheap insurance and does no harm. Periodic starting without the engine reaching running temp for some time promotes moisture (engine and pipes), acid and possibly fuel slightly diluting oil problems. There's no reason to just start it for a few minutes, especially in cold weather.

T113

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
Like LittleBear said. Occasional starting will only create condensation which will eventually settle into sludge. Besides it takes more juice to start a motor than can be replenished during idle. Leave it alone and hope for spring.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
adlerx said:
I have been told the periodic starting is a bad idea unless you are really gonna ride it and get it all the way up to full operating temp. I treated my gas for the first time last year with sat-bil, bike ran like crap for the first couple of tankfuls in the spring, I won't use it again this year.
I use Sta-bil on a full tank, leave it sit, battery in the house on a tender. I have never heard of anyone having problems with Sta-bil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Starting and short runs in the winter where the engine does not get fully up to temperature can cause moisture build up as the others have said. This moisture can freeze, clogging oil passages causing bigger problems.

It's best to park it until you can ride for more than 20 minutes at normal speed.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Just make sure that you run the bike long enough to get the Sta-Bil through the entire fuel sysem, otherwise it won't do what it's supposed to do.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
stable works great I use it my old cars during storage . Dont run the engine uless u plan on going for a ride. I take my bike out at least twice a month dec-march and do an at least hour ride. If your anywhere around Wappingers u can join us on a ride. 4 years on the battery with my build and it still cranks right over . Worst thing for them is to sit or short rides like bar hopping but none of us do that now do we...

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Well, for many many years and five Motorcycles, all I ever do is start the winter off with about 3/4 tank of fuel so I can add a litte later.

Start it and get it good and hot about every 3-4 weeks and put the battery tender on for a day or two about once a week.

I don't like to leave it plugged in, in case it would fail and cause a bigger problem.

Around January I will add a little fresh gas to the tank to liven it up.

usually ride a little by March.

Never had a problem at all.

·
Retired
1,832 Posts
I start mine every couple weeks. Use the throttle lock to keep the rpms around 1800 after it warms up a little. I also sit on the bike and rock it side to side to wash any moisture hanging in the top of the gas tank. I let the oil get around 150 degrees or more before I shut it down. Changed the oil a couple of days ago.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FXST103ci,

Thanks for the invite. I ma pretty close to Wappingers. I live in Westchester in Yorktown Heights. We'll have to hook up. I just cant see myself not riding at all until spring.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Had my Night Train for 3 years before selling it. Every winter I just plugged in the battery tender and every couple of days it was started and allowed to run until it was up to operating temp. If the weather was ok I'd run it around the neightborhood just to get all fluids moving around otherwise I'd just run it in 1st gear on the stand.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Leaving it run for a long period of time will solve the condensation problem, cause it will burn off any water vaper that has accumulated.
My brother had a problem with carbon build-up from long periods of idol and not running the RPMs up.
I suggest you redline the RPMs and hold it there for 4-5 minutes.
(Just kidding).
I just leave mine alone for the winter.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Concur with the thoughts and practices above. Do the same. However, would note I also know of, and have acquaintances, who do the start-the-bike-and-let-it-idle-in-the-garage thing. And you know, they never have any problems, any issues, after years of this practice. Not sure why, unless having the bike in a 45-50 degree cool and dry garage minimizes any condensation opportunities.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
FLSTNI said:
FXST103ci,

Thanks for the invite. I ma pretty close to Wappingers. I live in Westchester in Yorktown Heights. We'll have to hook up. I just cant see myself not riding at all until spring.
***** :hystria: :bleh: We'll hook up sometime in the spring. next week its suppose to warm up to the 40. Hpoefully it will stay there for a while we do an annual New Years day ride.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Idling is bad for any engine but especially air cooled. If you've ever seen thermal imaging of an idling engine you'll see spots of intense heat and areas of relative coolness. I wouldn't start it until I was ready to take it out for a few miles.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
We're pretty lucky around Maryland - Virginia. Temps here, like today, are in the upper 40's, so shutting the bike down is out of the question. When I do start it, if the roads are clear, and you can get over an hour of riding. I'm going now....cya's. Winter...Bah! When I lived in Illinois...now that's winter....and it sucks.

Thorns

1 - 20 of 35 Posts