V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Superglide, carburetor model. When I bought it (I'm the third owner) it had 19,000 miles and ran great. 44 mpg (highway cruising at 80 mph) and very nice acceleration in all gears.

Now it's got about 26,000 miles and the mileage has dropped to about 37 mpg and the acceleration is a little sluggish.

According to the previous owner, the pipes are stock with the baffles removed. The air cleaner is a K&H, I don't know exactly what model, but I have cleaned it with the K&H cleaner I bought at the Harley dealer. I put in new plugs right after I got it. They look fine too, although I'm not expert on that, I'm just comparing to the pics in the service manual. I have no idea what jets I have, and I don't know how to tell.

The only "maybe" clue I can give is that the choke cable broke and I had to pull the carburetor part-way out to install the new one. Maybe something got out of kilter then. It was a few months ago, so the degradation may have started then, but I'm not sure.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I'm a Harley newbie, so please start from the beginning and assume I don't know anything, including abbreviations and slang.

In the long run, I want to put on some performance upgrades, but my goal right now is just to get it back like it was.

Thanks to anybody who responds!

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
I'd start with a basic tuneup. New plug wires, float level with fresh valve & seat, ect.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
One thought jumps to mind. When you replaced the enrichner cable..there must be a little over 1/8" free play in the cable... that means that if you gently pull the cable outward, it should move very easily for the first 1/8 th inch before resistance is felt. If not..the enrichner (choke) may be slightly on all the time causing the bike to run too rich ..hurting preformance and mileage. the cable is adjusted with the 11/16 nut behind the bracket and the knurled knob .

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
henryhiggins said:
I have a 2001 Superglide, carburetor model. When I bought it (I'm the third owner) it had 19,000 miles and ran great. 44 mpg (highway cruising at 80 mph) and very nice acceleration in all gears.

Now it's got about 26,000 miles and the mileage has dropped to about 37 mpg and the acceleration is a little sluggish.

According to the previous owner, the pipes are stock with the baffles removed. The air cleaner is a K&H, I don't know exactly what model, but I have cleaned it with the K&H cleaner I bought at the Harley dealer. I put in new plugs right after I got it. They look fine too, although I'm not expert on that, I'm just comparing to the pics in the service manual. I have no idea what jets I have, and I don't know how to tell.

The only "maybe" clue I can give is that the choke cable broke and I had to pull the carburetor part-way out to install the new one. Maybe something got out of kilter then. It was a few months ago, so the degradation may have started then, but I'm not sure.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I'm a Harley newbie, so please start from the beginning and assume I don't know anything, including abbreviations and slang.

In the long run, I want to put on some performance upgrades, but my goal right now is just to get it back like it was.

Thanks to anybody who responds!
Hard to say from your decription what could be the problem. Sluggish?? Could be something as simple as old/bad gas. Drop in mileage could be just different riding habits. Have you been gettin on it lately?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
In order to read the plugs ya gotta ride it fairly hard...then stop and remove them immediately, no idling or waiting 'til it cools down...

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
The slow jet and needle were probably replaced by the previous owner when he added the air cleaner and opened up the pipes. A lot of the kits use a soft metalfor the jet and/or needle. What happens is that slowly the jet opens up and needle gets a little thiner. Thus the bike starts to run rich. This would explain the loss of MPG and the sluggishness. Do a complete tune up. If the problem presists check the jet and needle. Cheap parts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
also check for intake manifold leaks. this also will rob you of an unbeliveable amount of power. do this by lightly spraying carb cleaner or wd-40 around the manifold to head connection and listen for a change in engine speed (if it speeds up you have a leak):dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to All

V-Twin Forum members rock!!!!

Based on Milehog's suggestion, I started off with a new $12.95 pair of Screamin' Eagle plug wires. That did it! Original performance was restored!

A bunch of the other suggestions sound good too. Gotta try 'em, who knows what this machine is capable of. Gotta go, the road's calling me....

Henry Higgins

1 - 8 of 8 Posts