V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you perfectionist out there got a painless way to squeeze a tight fitting fender between the fender struts without scratches. I tried cereal box cardboard as it's thin enough, but it is just not cuttin it!:huh: Got to be a secret trick?

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
I've been thinking about the same thing, as I almost have my paintset back. I was thinking of using some plastic, like the disposable cutting board type for the kitchen.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I use a couple layers of the blue painters masking tape. Works for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have you tried loosening the fender struts from the frame. This should give you a bit more room. That's what I have done.

·
Registered
529 Posts
rickr01 said:
On A Dyna?? :whatever: Strut covers are already loose.
Strut covers? Didn't know it was a Dyna...and didn't know they didn't have "Real Chrome Fender Struts". Learn something new everyday.:spank:

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wvwayne said:
Strut covers? Didn't know it was a Dyna...and didn't know they didn't have "Real Chrome Fender Struts". Learn something new everyday.:spank:
Yep, Damn Dyna struts are part of the frame. :dry:

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
What I do on the softail is to put some black electrical tape on the inside of the struts. Just take the tape and stick it to your pants or shirt, the lint will make the tape come of easier after the fender is in place.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tape on and in she went! It was a very tight fit and no matter how gently I pushed her in, the rubbing on the tape itself put some very fine scratching and scuff marks on the fender as it slid in. A bit of polishing compound later and It's a done deal!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.