V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took a chance with Howard Messner, at Motorcycle Metal on a pair of Penske shocks set up for my streetglide. Howard actually tested and set the shocks up on a bike like mine before shipping the shocks. They are literally custom made and the quality is like nothing I have ever seen before. I just received them tonight and put them on the bike. I couldn't test them because it was raining but will try them out tomorrow. I can't wait. It took about 3 weeks to get them set to what I wanted so I will post as soon as I know. It is really a nice setup.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Jonny G.
Emailed Howard last night about the Penske setup and he detailed your setup to me. It seems we have the same requirements for riding and weights. Can you please post your thoughts on these shocks as i need something better for my SGlide. Can you post pics as i'm sure others would be interested as well.

karlrockdrain

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They cost approx $1000-$1200 for the pair depending on what type of adjustment capability you want on them. They are state of the art. I can't wait to test them out.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Might want to consider Bitubos

I know Penske makes a fine shock, but for about half that much, you can get Bitubo shocks for the FL's with Preload, Compression and Rebound adjustments. I'm running a pair on my FLHTCU and they are better than the Progressive 440's I was running previously.

Check out www.Traxxion.com. 770-592-3823. Talk to Dan and let him know CVO Chuck sent you his way.

Here is a thread I did at CVOHarley on the shocks on my bike.

Bitubo Shock Upgrade

Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did check them out. They are a good shock. I actually had a pair of Works Street Trackers on the bike. I liked them a lot more than my progressive 440's which I orginally had. If you go to Howard's website www.motorcyclemetal.com, you can see pics of the types of shocks. I will post my impressions once I check them out on a long ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Howard is a great guy to talk with. I ordered a set of the Lyndall composite rotors from him (haven't received them yet). I have a set of Bitubos I really like but I am very interested in hearing your evaluation of the Penskes...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
karlrockdrain said:
Jonny G.
Emailed Howard last night about the Penske setup and he detailed your setup to me. It seems we have the same requirements for riding and weights. Can you please post your thoughts on these shocks as i need something better for my SGlide. Can you post pics as i'm sure others would be interested as well.

karlrockdrain
Will do once I put them thru the ringer. I will also see if I can't get some pics up. If They ride anywhere near as nice as they look , I am in for a real treat .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shocks are fantastic , major improvement over anything I have ever used. I had the wife on the back , it was like she wasn't there. I still have fine tuning to do before I have it perfect. I will let you know once I get all the adjusting done. I might even have them lower them 1/2" more. You couldn't bottom them out if you wanted too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I had sometime Saturday to fine tune the valving and it is unbelievable. The bike is smooth as glass. I am going to play with it alittle more but I am seriously considering another 1/2" drop. These shocks can handle it. They don't bottom out. I deliberately ran them over a series of pot holes and no jarring effect. Holds the line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey fellas'. My name is Tim Lambert & I work for Penske Shocks. Glad to hear you like the shocks. We now offer the most unbelievable set for the Nightrod & V Rod's. Check out our Ebay store or penskeshocks.com for the pics.
Thanks again for your support.
Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts