V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And my second anniversary on this forum. Eye showed up here on December 7th, 2009, just a babe in a basket made of bullrushes. 130 posts to date. Not a lot, but more than one a day.

I don't type just to read my blatherings. But if someone has a question on something to do with the Old Harleys, the real Old Harleys, or wants to know about the bike Dad or Uncle Joe was photographed sitting upon before he went into the service, I try to chime in. Thanks for having me!

And please don't forget the 2,400 servicemen who died, and 1,200 who were wounded at Pearl Harbor 70 years ago. I don't ride non-American bikes, or cars, brought to us by the people who brought us "Pearl Harbor."

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Today is a good day to remember those who died in service to their country. I hope they continue to rest in peace.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Visited Pearl Harbor in 68 while on R&R, doubt I'll ever forget it. Sure would like to return someday to see what (if anything) has changed. We really do need to thank our veterans and active military.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Visited Pearl Harbor in 68 while on R&R, doubt I'll ever forget it. Sure would like to return someday to see what (if anything) has changed. We really do need to thank our veterans and active military.
War Story
I was on R&R in Honolulu in 1968; after ten months Vietnam, July 2nd to the 7th, 1968. Small world! I remember that someone threw a firecracker behind me on the Fourth as I was walkin' down the street with a girl I met. I threw her down and covered her in the shrubbery in front of the building, reaching for my... "Oops! Sorry! Little jumpy there!"

"Oh, I understand. Thank you for thinking first of my safety."

Did okay, overall. Most guys who applied for and got Hawaii R&Rs were married, and met their wives there. Only two of us on the Pan Am flight from Tan San Nhut weren't married.

We kept up a conversation with the cute 23 year old Purser (chief of the cabin crew) all night in the back of the plane. We must've talked for an hour before finding out she was Norwegian, "Merete." Then, what hotel she was staying in, "The Ambassador."

As chief of the crew she got separate quarters. The rest of the stewardesses were put up in the Royal Hawaiian, right on Waikiki beach. So, we checked in at The Ambassador as soon as they sprung us from the airport. Merete did make my next night memorable in her hotel room.

But it was only a one day layover for her, and I had to go huntin', back on the beach. Did pretty well after all. Who could turn down a 19 year old Vietnam Veteran on R&R? Yup. Memorable!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks to you all !! I was denied my privilege to serve my country because of an eye injury when I was 15, I've always felt guilty because of it and never pass up an opportunity to say thanks to vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts