V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a PCIIIusb, Big Sucker, and Thunderheader on my FLHTI. Well the bike popped on decel and seemed underpowered especially below 3000 rpm. I double checked the download and I had the correct one (807-167). I had heard about throttle position being out of adjustment on the PCIII so I emailed PowerCommander and they responded that I shouldn't need to adjust the Throttle Position.

Today I had some free time to tinker with the bike, so I headed for the garage with the laptop under my arm. After hooking up the laptop to the PCIII I fired up the bike. The closed throttle position was at 3%! I reset the TP and now the bike runs great. Much more power in the 2000-3000 rpm range and the popping is all but gone. I'm sure the tune would be better after a few runs on the dyno, but I'm waiting for a couple months before making an appointment with the local indie shop.

On a new PCIII install, I'd recommend checking the throttle position and adjusting if necessary.

-bluelab

-bluelab

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I'm amazed that the Dynojet folks would tell you that the throttle position shouldn't need adjusting--that's usually the first thing a tuner will check when he begins work. When I first installed the PCIII on my Softail I fired it up and discovered that the throttle position was reading 6% at idle!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be fair to Dynojet, I did not explain that I was having problems with popping and poor performance, becuase I really wasn't sure there was a problem. I just asked them if, in general, the throttle position should be checked on install of the PCIII. This step is not included in PCIIIusb setup instructions either.

I did not post to complain about the PCIIIusb or Dynojet, but rather suggest to new users that the throttle position be checked as a matter of course on install and set if necessary.

-bluelab

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I am guessing that this is standard operating procedure for PowerCommander tuners. That was the first thing that Ken at Black Hills did when dyno tuning my bike. If I remember right, it was off by a few percent at closed throttle.

·
Even my cologne is chrome
87 Posts
search for 'TP'

when you do, you will find two things....

1) a thread where I put together a link or two on calibrating the throttle position because another helpful guy tutored me to look after it. I just put the link together.

2) folding vs. scrunching.

beware of #2.

·
IronButt
55 Posts
I put my PCIII USB on today for the first time, and when I started the bike it was idling at about 2K. I did the throttle position calibration thing and it settled right down to normal as soon as I hit the OK button. Simple procedure, but it looks like it might be a necessary first step.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts