V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me, I'm an idiot. Trust me, don't make me prove it!

Got the PCIII installed ok, and I'm using the map supplied by seller. Got a great price, but no service; I don't know what map is installed, and my 01 FLHRCi is running VERY rich and sucking fuel like crazy (app 30mpg).

I finally got my hands on a laptop, installed the software and figured out which map I need. Now, how do I get the map from the laptop to the PCIII? Yeah, I know to hook up the USB cable, but then what?

I plan on taking it to a tuner in the spring, but for now I'd like to just get close.

Thanks!

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Plug the cable from the PC lll into the laptop.
Open the Power Commander application on the laptop.
Start the bike.
Check that the PC and laptop are communicating.
Copy the map from the bike to your laptop(just in case you want to go back)
Open the new map.
Send the map to the PC
Calibrate the throttle position sensor to the PC.
Add the accelerator pump and adjust.(May adversely affect mileage if your throttle hand is heavy).
Shut off bike and disconnect laptop.
Start bike and go ride.

Joe

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it thanks. The map that came pre-loaded was 'unidentified.' I loaded the appropriate map (M802-307) and went for a short ride (it's 39F here). Much, much nicer.

Thanks for the help.

·
Even my cologne is chrome
87 Posts
jasilva said:
Plug the cable from the PC lll into the laptop.
Open the Power Commander application on the laptop.
Start the bike.
Check that the PC and laptop are communicating.
Copy the map from the bike to your laptop AND SAVE IT (just in case you want to go back)
Open the new map.
Send the map to the PC
Calibrate the throttle position sensor to the PC. HOW DO YOU DO THIS?
Add the accelerator pump and adjust.(May adversely affect mileage if your throttle hand is heavy).
Shut off bike and disconnect laptop.
Start bike and go ride.

Joe
re: my first note above -- it would be easy to grab the map from the PC and not save it.

on the my second note: what do I need to calibrate? how? why? how can you tell if you need to?

thanks.

MFB

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
michiganfatboy said:
re: my first note above -- it would be easy to grab the map from the PC and not save it.

on the my second note: what do I need to calibrate? how? why? how can you tell if you need to?

thanks.

MFB
MFB, thanks for your first note, I was thinking that but the hands don't work as fast as the brain so I skipped that without realizing it.:duh?:

Second note, the EFI uses a throttle position sensor on the throttle body to tell the EFI controller how far open the throttle is in order to control the injection event. If you have never set the throttle position on your power commander you need to. Follow these direction to set TP,
Go to Power Commander Tools
Select Set Throttle Position
Select Reset from the pop up box
Twist throttle from full closed to full open and release
Select OK from pop up box
Close pop up box
Done.

If you go to www.powercommander.com you can download installation instructions and user manuals. You can also download the complete map database and the add on Accelerator Pump function for your Power Commander.

Joe

·
87 Posts
Joe, thanks again.

I would think those instructions would have been on the CD or the installation manual/instructions in the package. I have yet to 'browse' the CD but I have read all the materials everywhere else. Frustrating that the manuals reference the screens from prior versions of the software (reasonable amount of change).

I have used the website a number of times already and will be sure to check it out. Thanks.

MFB

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
michiganfatboy said:
Joe, thanks again.

I would think those instructions would have been on the CD or the installation manual/instructions in the package. I have yet to 'browse' the CD but I have read all the materials everywhere else. Frustrating that the manuals reference the screens from prior versions of the software (reasonable amount of change).

I have used the website a number of times already and will be sure to check it out. Thanks.

MFB
They don't send a full manual with the USB III. They have an online tutorial. That would be great if you have a LAN in your garage or front yard.

·
87 Posts
Throttle Position

Joe and Vafat,

The LAN is now stretched through the garage wall and into the garage. Thank you linksys. It is now 55F outside (Michigan). It is looming this thing called spring.

Anyway, thanks for the info and the help. The TP is now calibrated.

To add to Joe's comments above to complete the thread...

For everybody's info, though most of you probably know, there is a way to calibrate only the 'closed' position. When bike is on, and PCIIIusb is connected and talking, click the arrow button next to the 'closed' cell, roll the throttle closed, hit 'OK' button. DJ says calibrating open and closed is not always necessary (but I did both).

Thanks, guys.

MFB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts