V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a RK '97 with a EVO/EFI engine totally stock rebuild by the dealer. I'm planning to upgrade the RK for more torque. To do so I want to install a PowerCommander III USB among other items (AC, exhaust, cams). Can anyone tell me if I need to upgrade the factory ECU to stage 1 before I connect the PCIII or can I just connect the PCIII and load the right map and hit the road.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Livin the dream
338 Posts
I had the stage I flash on mine before I put the pcIII on but I dont think you need to have it. The downside for us evo efi guys is there is not many maps out there for us. The PC comes with all the maps that are on their website but its just different exhaust maps. If you ever do anything else to the engine it will have to be dyno tuned because there isnt really anything out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've noticed the lack off maps for 'us' EVO/EFI guys. So I'm sure I have to dyno my set up. First I have to collect all the different parts I want to build on the bike after the breakin in period. So far I have the PCIII USB and a pair of second hand Jerry Branch heads. Next month I will purcahse the AN 'bick sucker' aircleaner and a Andrews EV27 cam. I'm still looking for what kind of slip ons I will use. (V&H, Hookers, Samson Ovals) Any suggestions will be welcome. I'm looking for 'street' torque, lots of them!!! Mainly in the 2500 to 4500 rpm band. I know the slip ons won't give the most result, but I want to keep the double pipes at the rear end of the bike. Looks more symmetric (says the guy who just stepped of a chopped shovel!!):roflback:

·
>>> The Curmudgeon <<<
352 Posts
Putje said:
I've noticed the lack off maps for 'us' EVO/EFI guys. So I'm sure I have to dyno my set up. First I have to collect all the different parts I want to build on the bike after the breakin in period. So far I have the PCIII USB and a pair of second hand Jerry Branch heads. Next month I will purcahse the AN 'bick sucker' aircleaner and a Andrews EV27 cam. I'm still looking for what kind of slip ons I will use. (V&H, Hookers, Samson Ovals) Any suggestions will be welcome. I'm looking for 'street' torque, lots of them!!! Mainly in the 2500 to 4500 rpm band. I know the slip ons won't give the most result, but I want to keep the double pipes at the rear end of the bike. Looks more symmetric (says the guy who just stepped of a chopped shovel!!):roflback:
Take a look at the user-submitted maps section of the dynojet site. Not many there, but a few might be usable. There are DJ maps that are near the combination you're talking about. Look at those for the SE Stage II set-up, and plan on going a little richer. Contact Branch and see what he has available. He has a shitload of TC maps, and he might have some Evo as well--but I kinda doubt it.

If you have the black injectors on your bike, go get the red ones from the Stage II kit, or you will almost surely run too lean at higher RPM.

Personally, I prefer the Woods W6 over the Ev27, but either way make sure you know what compression ratio those branch heads will give you. That EV27 likes about 9.5:1 or so. Any more and you risk detonation on your bike. Any less and you end up with a bit of a droop in the torque curve right at the low end of where you're looking for it. If you end up with less than 9.5:1, I'd recommend a smaller cam--more like an EV13 (One of my favorite cams for baggers. See if you can find someone who has an EV13 installed and see what they think).

Use any slip-ons you like the looks and sound of. Generally, it doesn't make a lot of difference in torque or performance on a mildly-modified bike, but best torque in that RPM range would probably tend to come from quieter slip-ons.

Skip the Big Sucker. You won't be able to make use of it in the RPM range you're looking to use. Just put a K&N filter in the stock air box.

A general rule: Up to a point, better breathing (heads, cams, air cleaner, pipes...) improves torque everywhere, but beyond that point, better breathing moves the whole torque curve up higher in the RPM range, making it less usable on the highway, climbing hills, riding two-up, etc.

Barry's Bagger Cam rule: Read all the forum posts, see what cam your buddies recommend, ask the "experts" at your dealer, and decide what cam you think you need, then install the next smaller one.

P.S. ...and no, you don't have to go with stage I upgrade if you just want to improve torque in those RPM ranges. The stock ECM rev limiter is at 5200 RPM +/- 200, which is just barely high enough for your combination. This is especially true if you ditch the Branch heads (which you can't really make use of) or go with the EV13.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great reply. Lots of usefull information.

I'm not going to ditch the Branch heads (I'm way to proud to have purcahse them) and the Big Sucker is also already in place. But I will consider my cam choice after your story. Also your 'recommodation' on the exhasut slip-ons will make my choice much easier. After everything is installed I will have the bike dyno tuned at an official Power commmander tuner. Hope that he will get the max out of the combination.

But once again thanks for all the advise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts