V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all -
I have a '02 FLSTFi with Big Shot Staggereds and the Stage 1 kit, including flash. Since I never rode it before the Stage 1 (and originally I had the stock head pipes with the SE II slip-ons) I don't know if it backfired then. But it has backfired ever since I picked it up. With the new Big Shots, it backfires a bit more. It also seems to lose some power through the mid-range but without a tach, I can't give specifics.
So here's my question: Have any of you used the mentioned EFI tuners, what was your result and what were you trying to cure?
I would like to rid myself of backfiring (and I do not believe it's an exhaust or intake leak causing it) and increase my power. Am I going to see this with any of the above?
Lastly, for those who have used them, why did you pick the one you did and why didn't you pick the others?
TIA

·
Registered
46 Posts
On my '01 RK, I had the Stage I kit, to include reflash, and Kerker slip-ons. Took most of the fiberglass-type packing off of the baffles and it was popping. Put on a PCIIIr and now it will just pop occasionally. It's so infrequent now it's not worth mentioning. I tried various maps in the PC and the popping was a bit different with some of them. The map I ended up staying with was e-mailed to me by the place I bought the PC from. I never got beyond oil and fluid changes as far as the wrenching is concerned, so I don't know what causes the popping. In my case, it was obviously the EFI programming.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
FBA, On my 02 FHLRCI, the popping/backfiring stopped completely when I added a PC111 AND a set of equal length true dual headers. I've heard either can help, I did both together in conjunction with a stage 2 kit, so don't know which "did it".

btw, after the stage 2, including the PC, but before they did a custom map on the dyno ( i.e. had to break in the new stuff) it also seemed very flat in the mid range. The custom map totally fixed that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts