V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not knocking Jamie at Fuel Moto here, wanna clarify that from the start.
I got my PowerCommander from him and the instructions were good enough but they only showed mounting position for those with alarms. My bike ('07 Softail) doesn't have an alarm and I couldn't get a decent mount in the alarm tray/area. I decided to mount it to the frame crossmember a little higher. I recognized that the swing arm might hit it so I temp mounted it and bounced my 150lb a$$ all I could. It seemed fine so that's where it got installed. Everything was great for about 450 miles after that. Then I set out on a road trip and added saddlebags/tent and the extra weight is what did me in. 144 miles out of town the bike shut off and I was done. After the tow job and new PCIII I was $$600 poorer. Just a warning to those who are gonna mount one. Here's what they look like if you f&*k up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When it broke couldn't you have removed it from the system, replugged the connectors and the bike would have started? Or did it also fry something in the bike's electronics.

I've got a PC III and using the stock MAP that came with it with my Road King. Although the bike runs cooler my gas mileage went to hell. I was getting about 40-45 mpg with straight stock while cruising. Now the best I can get is 36 mpg.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
you can get a deeper tray for mounting on a softail.allows mounting under seat on top of ECM. it comes in package if you order part number specific to softail application.

·
Registered
772 Posts
RB Jones

RB Jones said:
When it broke couldn't you have removed it from the system, replugged the connectors and the bike would have started? Or did it also fry something in the bike's electronics.

I've got a PC III and using the stock MAP that came with it with my Road King. Although the bike runs cooler my gas mileage went to hell. I was getting about 40-45 mpg with straight stock while cruising. Now the best I can get is 36 mpg.

RB,

Does your setup run open loop? ie: does it have O2 sensors?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RB Jones said:
I tried removing it from the system but one of the 02 eliminators is under the battery. I had limited tools with me and couldn't pull the battery on the side of the road. Without the PCIII in the loop all you get is a check engine light with no fuel pump if you have the 02 eliminators on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts