V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the numbers in the map cells represent percentages or some other unit of measurement? Looked all over for this one but couldn't find anything.:dunno:

·
Registered
265 Posts
From the PC Map Selection PDF file:

"The above example shows several cells in the map selected. To do this, first click on the starting cell (in this case 5% throttle and 2,000 rpm). Then press and hold the “shift key” on the keyboard. At the same
time use the “arrow keys” on the keyboard to select multiple cells. The selected cells in the above example are in the typical cruise area of most bikes (some bikes may cruise at a higher rpm, more cells can be selected). You can now use the “page up” or “page down” keys (on the keyboard) to adjust all of the selected cells evenly. Pressing the “page down” key four times would lean out the selected area 4%.
You may wish to do this to improve fuel economy on long trips."

I'm not sure that this proves the numbers are percentages...though, each time I press "page-up" or " page-down" the map numbers change by one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Each Power Commander map cell represents a percentage of change to whatever the actual injector percent duty cycle was set to deliver from the ECM. Example; ECM calls for an injector duty cycle of 20% in the 60% throttle, 3000 RPM cell. You select a +10% change in that cell which will increase the 20% injector duty cycle to 22%. Note that a percentage increase in a PC map cell affectively decreases the air fuel (A/R) ratio for that cell, but by no means is the resulting percentage of change in A/F a one to one relationship to the change in injector duty. Ah, the PC is a great tool, now if only I could find an equally great dyno tech around here to take full advantage of it!

·
Registered
265 Posts
mlewis said:
Each Power Commander map cell represents a percentage of change to whatever the actual injector percent duty cycle was set to deliver from the ECM. Example; ECM calls for an injector duty cycle of 20% in the 60% throttle, 3000 RPM cell. You select a +10% change in that cell which will increase the 20% injector duty cycle to 22%. Note that a percentage increase in a PC map cell affectively decreases the air fuel (A/R) ratio for that cell, but by no means is the resulting percentage of change in A/F a one to one relationship to the change in injector duty. Ah, the PC is a great tool, now if only I could find an equally great dyno tech around here to take full advantage of it!
Thanks for the explanation!

We have a couple of guys in my area who lay claim to being able to dyno tune. Whether or not they actually can...that's the burning question!:blink:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great explanation, thanks.

Looking at some maps that had +40 values in some cells got me thinking about the overall effect on AFR. Adding 40% to the total amount of fuel being delivered would be a bit drastic. This makes sense now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts