V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have my 06 "Sweet Bob" in for it's 1000 mile service at the same dealer where I bought it. I called them yesterday to find out that they are charging me $230 for it.

My question is this. Do you think that dealers should waive the cost of the 1000 mile service if you purchase your bike at that dealer? The dealer where my brother purchased his bike (in Florida) gave him his 1000 mile service free. I was hoping that this would be the same for me. Obviously not. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Free 1000 mile service

My riding buddy got his 1,000 mile service free. Come to find out, that is standard operating procedure for some dealers.

My dealer socked it to me, full price.

·
Registered
69 Posts
$

You can do all this stuff yourself. There's nothing to it. No valves to adjust. No carbs or injectors to sinc nothing but the 3 holes to drain and pour Syn in. Plus the oil filter of course. Should cost no more than $50 tops and you learn about your bike while you're at it.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Yep, buy a service manual and do the work yourself. ~!Awesome!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Nothing is "free", when the dealer throws the service in it is because they felt it was necessary to help close the deal. Therefore, it is going to depend on the specific dealer. The time to ask is BEFORE the service.

$230 is not a lot IF all the services and inspections are performed per the manual. Given the likelyhood that, if something is going to go bad it will do so early, I have always let the dealer perform the initial service . I also don't wash my bike until AFTER the initial service, as this makes spotting leaks easier.

After the initial service, get the Service/Parts/Electrical manuals and do your own work.

PSK260 said:
Hey all. I have my 06 "Sweet Bob" in for it's 1000 mile service at the same dealer where I bought it. I called them yesterday to find out that they are charging me $230 for it.

My question is this. Do you think that dealers should waive the cost of the 1000 mile service if you purchase your bike at that dealer? The dealer where my brother purchased his bike (in Florida) gave him his 1000 mile service free. I was hoping that this would be the same for me. Obviously not. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Yep, FX is right. There ain't such a thing as a free lunch. That cost is in there somewhere. I too let the dealer do the first service, and from there on out I do them. Buy the book!!!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so far for your opinions. I think it is a good idea to learn to change the fluids myself. The dealer was talking about adjustments (adjusting belt drive, primary, etc.) which I do not think I could do myself. The dealer gave me the owner's manual when I bought the bike. Is that the book you guys are talking about?

I'm gonna mention giving me this service for free when I pick it up tomorrow. The funny thing is that the dealer I bought the bike from is not the closest dealer to me. I bought the bike there because it was immediately available and because a friend works there. Therefore, I would think that they would want to create some value to retain my business.

We'll see what happens.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Well, there are a couple ways to think about this.

First, it's not just changing out 3 fluids. There is an entire checklist of things to be checked and adjusted, different at each service. The info you need is in the SERVICE manual, available for $50-60 from a dealer. Don't cheap out here, get the factory one. Worth every penny. If you just change fluids and ignore the rest, you'll be complaining about what a POS your bike is at best, and investigating how good HOG's roadside assistance is at worst.

Nextly, I don't know if you plan on having any type of an ongoing, mutually beneficial relationship with your dealer or not, but if you do, just consider this a lesson learned and know to negotiate for a free 1k service NEXT time you buy a bike.
If you go in there after the fact whining about paying for services that you asked for and that were performed, they'll remember you, all right.

·
Math HD
17 Posts
I agree... buy the SERVICE MANUAL. Every bike comes with an owner's manual that contains minimal servicing info along with information on how to operate your bike. The service manual contains detailed instructions on how to maintain your bike. Even if you can afford to pay someone else to maintain your ride, there are huge advantages to doing your own work. First, no matter who you pay to work on your bike, they don't care about it as much as you do. Second, maintaining any machine helps you head off problems before they occur. Maintaining a Harley-Davidson motorcycle is not rocket science. It is reading the instructions carefully and following them carefully. Use the right tool for the right job. You can buy a lot of the right tools for what the 1000 mi service costs (including a couple of torque wrenches at Sears). If you don't understand a process, ask around until you do. I see exceptional responses to exactly that type of question on this forum all the time. There are certainly jobs where cost of tools or time and space limitations warrant using a dealer or an independent but the vast majority of tasks that keep your bike healthy can and should be done by the owner. If you need more motivation, read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Keep Smilin' and Enjoy the Ride...

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
FLSTFI-2005 said:
For $230 they had better return the bike washed, waxed, and polished.
I'm not sure I would let some kid at the dealer wash and wax my ride. Dirty water and dirty rags, etc= fugged up paint and chrome.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I had the dealer do my 1000 mile service because I wanted them to make sure everything was mechanically sound. I am no HD expert, so I figure the service tech could spot trouble faster than I could armed with my trusty service manual.

I paid for the first service... but that was over 8000 miles ago. I haven't been back to a dealer for maintance since.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
FLSTFI-2005 said:
For $230 they had better return the bike washed, waxed, and polished.
--------

.... I'm not sure I would let some kid at the dealer wash and wax my ride. Dirty water and dirty rags, etc= fugged up paint and chrome.

------------------------------------

My dealer actually does a great job, the bike was returned washed and looking great. My point is, that if you wash the bike, the mechanic may miss a developing leak. (And no, the bike is not a mud ball either! LOL)

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
PSK260 said:
Thanks so far for your opinions. I think it is a good idea to learn to change the fluids myself. The dealer was talking about adjustments (adjusting belt drive, primary, etc.) which I do not think I could do myself. The dealer gave me the owner's manual when I bought the bike. Is that the book you guys are talking about?
No point in asking for a free service now. Just pay up and act like it doesn't bother you. No one likes a whiner... While you are in there, spend $50 on the service manual. Inside it, you'll see that it takes no time at all to do the 1000k checkup on an '06 Dyna. Then you'll be even more aggravated that you wasted $230. By the way, the primary is self-adjusting on the new Dynas, so your dealer didn't even have to do that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
100k service

according to my service manual part #99481-06 page 1-1 it says The perfpormance of new motorcycle intial service is REQUIRED to keep warranty in force and to ensure proper emissions systems operation.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Yes, but does it say a dealer has to do it. I worked at an Indy who did them. They just signed off the owners manual section on the service.
If you keep your receipts and check off all the info, who is to say it was not done.
I did take mine to the dealer for its first service, and that was the last time it went to a dealer. No problems, just easy to do yourself with the manual. Of cource back in "93 it was only $120.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I just got my bike back today. I gotta tell yas that I'm feeling ripped off. The total bill was $237. For what? $186 of that was for labor. Then there's an "O-Ring, Gasket Service Kit, Oil Filter, 1 quart of oil, Chaincase lube, and trans lube". And to just add another kick to the balls, these guys didn't even have the courtesy to fill my tank or to clean the bike off. When I got it back, the tank was empty and there were waterspots all over the bike. I thought that was kind of odd since I've never ridden the bike in the rain.

Bottom line is this. I'm gonna buy the service manual and do the servicing myself. Paying $230 + for a service is re-goddamn-diculous. After this experience, I feel like I got shafted in my O-ring.

Again, no value added = no repeat customer and no referrals.

·
Registered
105 Posts
PSK260 said:

Thanks in advance!
If you think the 1k service is expensive....take it to them for the 5 and 10k service and you'll find out what expensive really is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts