V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a clutch burn out about 1 1/2 yr. ago. I think that it was the original clutch b/c the previous owner was good about saving receipts--& there was no receipt for a clutch purchase. Anyway, I'm a new rider so I know that I'm guilty of riding the clutch.
But shortly before the clutch burned out I was having trouble shifting up to third. So, I took my bike to San Diego HD and had a Screaming Eagle clutch put in. It only lasted a matter of minutes!
I had another clutch put in at SD HD and it also burned out fast. The mechanic over at Thunder Rd in LA told me that the clutch wasn't put in right.
I had him put in a BUrnett and it lasted longer but I still had trouble shifting up to third. Like the other clutches once it happened it happened more frequently.
And yes, at first the bike would jump when the clutch lever was pulled in (Burnett clutch). But that stopped after a while. With the Burnett clutch, I would hear a squeal sound when changing gears. So I took it back to Thunder Road. The owner took it for a ride and said there was no problem.
I've been told that I might need a pawl adjustment.
I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
701 Posts
Do you know if anyone has been into the transmission or have only gone as far to replacing only the clutch? The transmissions in our bikes are almost bullet proof and usually don't need any servicing.
As for adjusting the pawl, buy a service manual and go to page 6-37. It will explain to you how the pawl should be adjusted. This will also require you to pull the whole clutch assembly so that you will be able to access the shifter shaft assembly. It's not hard to do and is able to be done in a day or in a few hours if you have done it a few times.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts